HARROW BOROUGH   Tuesday 6th November 2018   NORTHWOOD FC

Middlesex Senior Cup Second Round

  Harrow Borough 3  Northwood 1  

Moore 22, Kearney 42, 51

Worrell 52

Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Hafed Al-Droubi     1 Luke Sheldrick
2 George Moore     2 Sam Jenkins
3 Ryan Haugh     3 Miguel Matos
4 Mitchal Gough     4 Dan Newton
5 Shaun Preddie     5 Sam Tring (62m)
6 George Fenton     6 Jon Munday
7 Shpat Ismajli (67m)     7 Cameron Ferguson (71m)
8 Mark McLeod (67m)     8 Kieran Asumadu-Sakyi
9 Ryan Moss (67m)     9 Ben Pattie © (27m)
10 Dylan Kearney     10 Kyran Worrell
11 Lewis Cole     11 Kweku Conrad-Lucan
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Frank Keita     12 Matt Cooper (62m)
14 Michael Bryan     14 Jamie Fulton (73m)
15 Excellence Muhemba (67m)     15 Dan Pett (27m)
16 Samuel Olanrewaju (67m)     16 Ben Dufaux
17 Eric Sowanola (67m)     17 Caolan Doyle





Referee: Paul Andrews; Assts: Conor Griffin & Joseph Casey



  REPORT by Robin Piper  



Northwood's participation in the Middlesex Senior Cup is over for another year after they were defeated by near neighbours Harrow Borough. Woods were up against a strong Southern Premier outfit while their own line-up showed a number of changes from Saturday's win over Ashford.

There were first starts of the season for central defender Jon Munday and Kieran Asumadu-Sakyi, Munday replacing Carl Pearce in the three-man defence while the latter came into a midfield missing Hakim Nyariki and Stefan Powell. Cameron Ferguson returned to the midfield alongside Kyran Worrell, who was making his first senior start, and there was a first appearance for a month for Miguel Matos as a replacement for Matt Cooper's at left wing-back.

The match began at a frantic pace and there were early chances at both ends for Borough's Dylan Kearney and Northwood's Kweku Lucan but the goalkeepers held the upper hand. Woods were gradually forced onto the back foot with Lewis Cole going close on a couple of occasions. And the hosts deservedly took the lead on 21 minutes as George Moore capitalised on a poor interchange between keeper Luke Sheldrick and Matos, dispossessing the latter before delivering a clinical finish.

Woods suffered a blow on 27 minutes as they lost striker Ben Pattie to a leg injury with Dan Pett his replacement, Worrell moving forward to accompany Lucan in attack. Borough continued to ask questions with their quick, incisive play and Shpat Ismajli shot narrowly wide before Moore drew a full length save from Sheldrick.

Northwood gradually began to adapt to the loss of Pattie, and they created a couple of openings. Matos combined with Worrell before sending a low ball across the face of goal and past the on-rushing Pett. And the same pair combined again as Matos  saw his firm shot fisted away by keeper Hafed Al-Droubi.

However, Woods were the architects  of their own downfall once again as Matos lost out to Moore who fired over a far post cross which was dispatched by Kearney to increase his side's lead on 42 minutes. Northwood needed a quick response after the half-time break, and they went close through Pett who dragged his shot wide from a good position.

But Woods were left with a mountain to climb on 53 minutes as the dangerous Moore got to the by-line and pulled back the ball for Kearney who shot on the turn beyond Sheldrick for his second goal of the evening.

Northwood posted an immediate response as Lucan got round the back of the Borough defence and set up Worrell, who swept the ball home for his first senior goal to reduce the arrears on 54 minutes. The goal gave Woods renewed belief and they threatened again as Sam Jenkins found Worrell but his attempt to play in Lucan failed when going it alone might have been the better option.

Matt Cooper replaced Tring in defence  with the latter struggling after a knock to his ankle in the first half while Jamie Fulton was introduced into the Woods midfield in place of Ferguson. Northwood were enjoying plenty of possession but the quality of the final ball was missing while their efforts were further hampered by their tendency to fall foul of the offside flag.

The hosts remained a threat as they looked to exploit the inevitable gaps, Sheldrick producing saves to deny Mitchal Gough, Excellence Muhemba and Cole. And Muhemba went close again as his shot cannoned off the woodwork. To their credit, Northwood stuck to the task and they had a chance to finish the evening on a positive note but Dan Newton was off target with a free-header from a Jenkins corner as Borough progressed to the next round.