NORTHWOOD FC   Saturday 15th December 2018   HANWELL TOWN FC

Bostik League South Central

  Northwood 2  Hanwell Town 2   

Uche 64, Pattie 73

Wambeek 51, Collins 67

Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Luke Sheldrick     1 Aaron Bufton
2 Sam Jenkins     2 Kieron Cathline
3 Matt Cooper (37m)     3 Jack Waldren
4 Leigh Stevens     4 Olly Duffy
5 Imran Uche     5 Harry Tamplin
6 Carl Pearce ©      6 Will Wambeek
7 Dan Pett     7 Harry Rush
8 Chris Gosling     8 Calum Duffy
9 Ben Pattie     9 Malakai Mars (76m)
10 Andrew Ofosu (82m)     10 Tom Collins
11 Kyran Worrell (46m)     11 Harvey Killeen (81m)
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Jon Munday     12 Wayne Carter
14 Kweku Lucan (46m)     14 Louis Bircham
15 Dan Newton (37m)     15 Dylan Randall
16 Max Holland (82m)     16 Rhys Paul (81m)
17 Kieran Asumadu-Sakyi     17 Gareth Chendlik (76m)


  Referee: Jeffrey Aldous; Assistants: Dean Carney & Bob Trinder      
  REPORT by Robin Piper   PHOTOS by James Brown  



Northwood had to settle for a share of the spoils as they played out an entertaining draw with old adversaries Hanwell Town in monsoon conditions at the Acretweed Stadium. Woods went into the game buoyed by the news that manager Scott Dash had been given the job on a permanent basis as his team looked to build on their run of one league defeat in eight games.

There were a couple of changes to the Northwood line-up with Kyran Worrell returning to the right-wing in place of Max Holland while Leigh Stevens replaced Kieran Asumadu-Sakyi in midfield.

Ben Pattie had an early chance for Woods but dragged his shot wide from a good position and the visitors proceeded to create a succession of openings with Malakai Mars and Tom Collins going close.

Northwood gradually came to terms with the testing conditions and Worrell saw his long-range shot parried by keeper  Aaron Bufton but Pattie's follow up cleared the Hanwell crossbar. And former Wood Bufton was tested again as he got a hand to Andrew Ofosu's shot from distance to divert it over the woodwork.

Woods were enjoying a good spell of play but the Geordies continued to carry an attacking threat as Harry Rush had a deflected shot collected by keeper Luke Sheldrick before a low ball from Kieron Cathline flew across the face of the home goal.

Northwood continued to counter well with Matt Cooper and Worrell firing over but they lost their left-back to an ankle injury on 39 minutes with Dan Newton his replacement. And Woods had some defending to do before half-time with Collins seeing his close-range shot deflected over while another effort was cleared off the line.

Woods came out for the second period with a change on the wing, Worrell making way for Kweku Lucan with the sheeting rain showing no sign of abating and the playing surface becoming increasingly saturated. And it was the visitors who struck first as Will Wambeek headed home a near-post corner to give his side a 51st minute lead.

Northwood  looked for an immediate response and they had a good shout for a penalty turned down after Ofosu was taken out on the by-line. However, Woods got their just desserts as Imran Uche headed home Pattie's corner for his first Northwood goal on 64 minutes.

Despite  standing water in the  centre of the pitch beginning to hamper flowing football, both sides stuck manfully to their task and Hanwell regained the lead on 67 minutes as Collins fired a low shot from distance beyond Sheldrick.

Woods went in search of an equaliser and Leigh Stevens spurned a glorious chance as he miscued from Pattie's pull-back. And Pattie was in the thick of it again as he released Lucan with a delightful through-ball but the latter was hauled down on the edge of the box by Cathline who received his marching orders for his troubles. Pattie seized the opportunity and fired the ensuing free-kick into the bottom corner of the Geordies' net to restore parity on 73 minutes.

Woods went in search of a winner as they looked to make their numerical advantage count, Lucan having a shot turned round the post by Bufton. Holland replaced Ofosu with eight minutes left on the clock and Northwood kept up the pressure as Sam Jenkins' cross fell to Pattie but he dragged his shot wide of the target.

At the other end, Sheldrick gathered a fierce Olly Duffy shot at the second attempt but Woods were soon back on the attack as Pattie had a shot deflected behind.

With time running out for Northwood they launched one last attack as Holland looked to lift the ball over the on-rushing Bufton, the keeper perhaps lucky to only receive a caution as he unceremoniously upended the flying forward. But the ensuing free-kick came to nothing as the referee called time on a draw which moves Woods up one place to seventh in the table.

Highlights on WoodsTV here