DUNSTABLE TOWN   Saturday 13th October 2018   NORTHWOOD FC

FA Trophy First Qualifying Round

  Dunstable Town 2 Northwood 0  

Wreh 48, Amu 84


Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Nick Hayes     1 Luke Sheldrick
2 Joe Mead     2 Dan Newton
3 Gedeon Okito     3 Matt Cooper
4 Hassan Sheikh     4 Cameron Ferguson (62m)
5 John Sonuga     5 Sam Tring
6 Kyle Lincoln     6 Carl Pearce © 
7 Erin Amu     7 Kweku Conrad-Lucan (68m)
8 Ethan Lamptey (sub)     8 Hakim Nyariki (78m)
9 Arel Amu ©     9 Ned Clarke
10 Chris Wreh (sub)     10 Brendan Ocran
11 Saul Williams (sub)     11 Keir Dickson
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Ben Collins (sub)     12 Ben Pattie (62m)
14 Rio Dasilva (sub)     14 Dan Pett (68m)
15 George Naismith     15 Karl Stevenson
16 Daniel Tried (sub)     16 Sam Jenkins (78m)
17 Charlie Black     17 Miguel Matos



Referee: Jordan Marin; Assts: Luke Scott & James Beal



  REPORT by Robin Piper    PHOTOS by James Brown  



Northwood exited the Trophy at the first hurdle after they lost to their Bedfordshire opponents on a disappointing afternoon at Creasey Park. There was one change from the midweek penalty shoot-out win at Wingate with Stefan Powell having been recalled by parent club Beaconsfield; Keir Dickson returning on the left flank with Brendan Ocran moving to a central attacking role in behind Ned Clarke.

Both sides took a while to settle as they struggled to get to grips with the blustery conditions. However, Woods began to make some headroom down the right flank with Dan Newton sending over a couple crosses to the far post but with no red shirt to apply the finish.

Dunstable began to find their range and Northwood keeper Luke Sheldrick produced a smart near post save to foil Arel Amu after a jinking run.

Woods were back on the front foot as Ocran fired in a low shot from 25 yards which was turned round the post by Dunstable keeper Nick Hayes. Northwood were enjoying their best spell and Kweku Lucan was almost in following a Matt Cooper  throw-in before Sam Tring headed over from Ocran's corner.

The visitors continued to dominate and they should have taken the lead as Hakim Nyariki's through-ball gave Dickson a run on goal but his shot cannoned off the crossbar. And Northwood had another gilt-edged chance moments later as Clarke's cross picked out an unmarked  Lucan but he directed his close-range header wide of the target.

Northwood maintained the momentum and created another opportunity as Newton fed Ocran, who got round the back of the Dunstable defence and sent a low cross to the far post for the on-rushing Dickson to apply what appeared a simple finish, but he got in a tangle and the chance was squandered.

The hosts were offering very little but Sheldrick was called upon to deal with a Saul Williams cross-shot. However, normal business was resumed as a hanging cross from Cooper found the head of Carl Pearce but his effort was blocked by Hayes while another Cooper cross almost found a path to Clarke but the Woods striker was crowded out.

Northwood came out for the second period no doubt hoping that their profligacy in front of goal wouldn't be punished but their worst fears were realised two minutes in as they failed numerous attempts to clear a Dunstable corner allowing Chris Wreh to convert from close range.

Woods responded with  Cameron Ferguson breaking from midfield before sending over a floated pass to the hard-working Clarke whose shot on the turn was parried by Hayes. Ben Pattie was introduced for Ferguson just after the hour-mark as Woods looked to add to their firepower, the former making his first appearance since breaking a bone in his foot a month ago.

Northwood were struggling regain their rhythm and it was the hosts who threatened another goal but Wreh was unable to keep his shot down. Woods were growing increasingly anxious in their search for an equaliser but there was a half chance for Pattie but he headed over from Cooper's corner.

Lucan made way for Dan Pett on 68 minutes to give  the former Edgware Town attacking midfielder his Northwood debut as the hunt for a goal continued. And Dunstable reminded Woods of their threat as substitute Rio DaSilva fired in a shot which was comfortably gathered by Sheldrick.

Northwood manager Dean Barker played his last card as he sent on Sam Jenkins into an advanced position as a replacement for Nyariki on 78 minutes. But the tie was effectively over on 84 minutes as Arel Amu extended the Dunstable lead with a close-range finish.

Northwood looked a beaten team although Pett went close in the 90th minute as he latched onto a Clarke knockdown but was unable to get the rising ball on target. There was a final opportunity to gain a consolation in stoppage time but Ocran shot wide after being set up by Dickson to cap a thoroughly frustrating afternoon for Northwood.