NORTHWOOD FC   Tuesday 18th September 2018   BURY TOWN FC

Velocity Trophy First Round

  Northwood 2  Bury Town 0   

Ewington 12, 43


Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Luke Sheldrick     1 Luis Tibbles
2 Jack Gibbs     2 Jake Kerins
3 Matt Cooper     3 Ryan Stafford
4 Wilson Chingoka     4 Ollie Fenn
5 Sam Tring     5 Ian Miller
6 Carl Pearce ©      6 Kyran Clements
7 Jorome Slew (82m)     7 Jake Chambers Shaw (86m)
8 Cameron Ferguson     8 Ryan Jolland
9 Ned Clarke (62m)     9 Ollie Hughes
10 James Ewington     10 Emmanuel Machaya
11 Keir Dickson (72m)     11 Tommy Robinson (80m)
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Kweku Conrad-Lucan      12 Ryan Horne
14 Hakim Nyariki (62m)      14 Tanner Call (80m)
15 Miguel Matos (72m)      15 Joe White (86m)
16 Sam Jenkins (82m)     16 Gareth Simpson
17 Ben Andreos     17 John Kennedy


  Referee: Paul Johnson; Assistants: Michael Hayden & Luis Nunes      
  REPORT by Robin Piper   



Northwood ended their recent barren run with a first win in six games as they overcame North Division Bury Town in the opening round of the Velocity Trophy.

Manager Dean Barker made a number of changes following Saturday's defeat at Bracknell. Cameron Ferguson and Wilson Chingoka replaced Chris Gosling and Luke Alfano in central midfield while Ned Clarke returned to partner James Ewington up front, with Jorome Slew reverting to his right side attacking role. There was also a start for Keir Dickson on the left flank with Miguel Lopes de Matos and Sam Jenkins dropping to the substitutes bench.

Woods were quickly out of the blocks as Clarke's ball over the top found Ewington who lifted his shot over goalkeeper Luis Tibbles and narrowly over the crossbar. Northwood continued their bright start as Clarke's shot on the turn flew narrowly wide after good work from the lively Slew and Ewington.

Bury withstood the early Woods pressure and they began to ask questions of their own, Emmanuel Machaya having two bites at the cherry as his shot was blocked before goalkeeper Luke Sheldrick saved his follow-up effort.

Northwood were soon back on the offensive, with Clarke and Ewington going close again. And it was no surprise when Ewington put Woods ahead on 13 minutes as he timed his run to perfection to meet the impressive Matt Cooper's ball over the top and finish with ease. The home side went in search of another goal with Clarke seeing his close-range shot deflect for a corner following a sweeping move involving Jack Gibbs and Slew.

The visitors began to enjoy more possession and  had their best spell of the opening period as the lively Jake Chambers-Shaw, Kyran Clements and Ryan Jolland all went close but the Woods defence, well marshalled by skipper Carl Pearce, and keeper Sheldrick stood firm.

And Northwood posted the perfect end to an impressive first half performance with a second goal on 44 minutes, Ewington delivering another emphatic finish after being set up by Dickson, for the striker's ninth goal of the season.

Sheldrick was called upon to keep out a snapshot from Chambers-Shaw in stoppage time. And that set the tone for the start of the second period as Bury launched a series of attacks, with Chambers-Shaw and Machaya being foiled by the Northwood number one.

Woods were being increasingly pushed back into their own territory as Bury looked for a way back, and Barker decided to bolster the midfield by introducing Hakim Nyariki for striker Clarke just after the hour-mark.

The visitors continued to threaten with Machaya looking particularly dangerous, Sheldrick gathering his shot after a mazy run into the box. Dickson made way for Miguel Lopes De Matos on 72 minutes to provide fresh legs on the left flank and Matos saw his close-range shot blocked after Slew combined with Nyariki.

Woods made their final substitution as Slew was replaced by Sam Jenkins for the final ten minutes and there was some defending to do as Ryan Stafford and substitutes Joe White and Tanner Hall all threatened in the closing stages.

But the Northwood defence was up to the task as they recorded their second clean sheet of the season, giving themselves a much-needed confidence boost and booking their passage to the next round, where a long trip to Felixstowe & Walton United awaits.