AFC HAYES   Tuesday 16th October 2018   NORTHWOOD FC

Middlesex Senior Cup First Round

  AFC Hayes 0 Northwood 3  


Clarke 34, Ocran 68,
Pattie 77

Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Josh Bramwell     1 Luke Sheldrick
2 Kildane Tesfu     2 Karl Stevenson
3 Charlie Howes (off)     3 Matt Cooper
4 Jemel Laizizi     4 Stefan Powell
5 Haluva Masembe     5 Sam Tring
6 Harry Carter     6 Carl Pearce © 
7 Victor Montes     7 Sam Jenkins (71m)
8 Jack Roper (off)     8 Dan Pett (79m)
9 Marvin Adjei     9 Ned Clarke
10 Lusungu Ndvoi     10 Ben Pattie
11 Adam Mohammed (off)     11 Brendan Ocran (74m)
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Josh Quadry (on)     12 Dan Newton
14 Nat Mensah (on)     14 Keir Dickson
15 George Harmes (on)     15 Kyran Worrell (74m)
16 Tommy Cole     16 Hakim Nyariki (79m)
17 Gibson Plasma     17 Emmanuel Melford-Rowe (71m)



Referee: Steven Rae; Assts: Andrew Batten & Mark Sennett



  REPORT by Robin Piper  



Northwood progressed to the next round of the Middlesex Senior Cup with a comfortable win over Combined Counties outfit AFC Hayes. Woods made the short trip to Farm Park without Cameron Ferguson and Kweku Lucan while Keir Dickson, Hakim Nyariki and Dan Newton reverted to the substitute's bench. Ben Pattie was restored to the attack alongside Ned Clarke, Stefan Powell returned to the midfield alongside full debutant Dan Pett while Karl Stevenson made his first start for a month at right-back. Sam Jenkins came in on the right flank while Brendan Ocran was tasked to attack from the left wing.

There was pressure at both ends in the early stages, Jenkins dragging a first time shot wide of the far post after latching onto Ocran's crossfield ball while Stevenson headed a dangerous cross from Kildane Tesfu over his own bar as the hosts threatened. Strike partners Clarke and Pattie were linking up well for Woods and  the latter fired a crisp shot narrowly wide after a Clarke knockdown.

Hayes proceeded to ask questions of the Northwood backline as Adam Mohammed, Victor Montes and Lusungu Ndvoi all went close. But Woods had great opportunity to open the scoring as Pattie played in Clarke with a sliderule pass but the latter was unable to find a way past keeper Josh Bramwell.

The hosts continued to enjoy a fair share of the play and keeper Luke Sheldrick was called into action as he parried a Montes shot following a surging run from deep. But it was Northwood who opened the scoring on 34 minutes through Clarke with his first goal for the club, executing a cool finish after Pattie had flicked on Sam Tring's ball from defence.

Woods went in search of further goals in a strong finish to the first half, Jenkins having a close-range shot blocked before Bramwell dealt with Pattie's long-range effort. Northwood proceeded in a similar vein after the break, Ocran having a shot saved by Bramwell while Pattie's shot brushed the base of the upright following a jinking run.

Woods had found another gear and they continued to dominate with Pattie drawing another save from Bramwell while Clarke went close on a couple of occasions. Sheldrick was called upon to collect a cross-shot from Ndvoi but it was a breif respite for the hosts as Ocran extended the lead with his first Northwood goal on 68 minutes after Clarke and Jenkins had combined to create the opening.

Emmanuel Melford-Rowe replaced Jenkins on 70 minutes and Pattie looked to repeat his 'goal of the round' in the FA Cup with another 40 yard attempt but his shot drifted wide of the target. Kyran Worrell replaced Ocran on 77 minutes and the youngster tried his luck with a long-range shot but which lacked the power to trouble Bramwell.

But the contest was put to bed when Pattie added a third for Woods on 77 minutes as he sent a back header from Matt Cooper's free-kick beyond the reach of Bramwell for only his second competitive goal in Northwood colours.

Woods made their final substitution as Hakim Nyariki replaced Pett for the final ten minutes, the latter having enjoyed a steady debut. And Northwood finished the tie strongly with Pattie testing Bramwell with a free-kick before poking another effort wide from Melford-Rowe's low cross.

But there was to be no additions  to the score with Northwood able to reflect on a job well done and looking forward to an away tie at Harrow Borough in the next round.