Tuesday 13th February 2019


Middlesex Senior Charity Cup round three

  AFC Hayes 1  Northwood 3  

Dennis 66

Witham 74, Worrell 80, Sabti 82

Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Cameron Kennedy     1 Luke Sheldrick
2 Kildane Tesfu     2 Sam Jenkins
3 Harry Bishop     3 Matt Cooper
4 Shane Kettle     4 Kieran Asumadu-Sakyi
5 Chris Dionisopoulos (off)     5 Dan Newton
6 Craig Ferguson     6 Carl Pearce © 
7 Nathan Dennis     7 Kerran Lataille (68m)
8 Jake Edwards     8 Jabir Laraba (75m)
9 Ryan Debattista     9 Zaied Sabti
10 Jarraz Mourad     10 Alex Witham (84m)
11 Lusungu Ndovi (off)     11 Kyran Worrell
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Haluna Masembe (on)     12 Tremayne Charles (75m)
14 Victor Montes (on)     14 Kweku Lucan (84m)
15 Jason White     15 Miguel Matos
16 Gibson Pasma     16 Dan Pett (68m)
17 -     17 -



Referee: Connor Griffin; Assts: Andrew Hickman & Ceri Williams



  REPORT by Robin Piper  



Free-scoring Northwood made it eleven goals in three games as they overcame a battling AFC Hayes outfit to progress to the last four of the Middlesex Senior Charity Cup.

Manager Scott Dash took the opportunity to shuffle his troops, deploying a new-look midfield of Kieran Asumadu-Sakyi, Jabir Laraba and debutant Kerran Lataille, while Kyran Worrell and Zaied Sabti started either side of Alex Witham in attack. There was also a welcome return for left-back Matt Cooper after his two month injury lay-off.

Woods enjoyed a bright opening quarter, with Sabti and Worrell both having a couple of opportunities to open the scoring while Laraba and Witham also threatened, but the home defence stood firm.

At the other end, Northwood were almost caught napping as Jarraz Mourad broke clear and rolled the ball past a stranded Luke Sheldrick but narrowly past the post.

Having failed to make their early dominance pay, Woods were being asked questions by their  increasingly confident hosts. Ryan Debattista was inches away from applying a far post finish to Harry Bishop's low cross before Sheldrick parried a 25-yard shot from the former Northwood striker. The Brook continued their strong finish to the opening period with Debattista heading wide and Sheldrick dealing with a Nathan Dennis effort.

Woods would need to up their game in the second half, and they were quickly into their stride as Lataille tried his luck from distance and Dan Newton headed wide from a Sabti free-kick. And Northwood kept up the pressure as Worrell saw his shot diverted by keeper Cameron Kennedy before Sabti shot narrowly over following a run at the home defence.

However, Woods fell behind on 66 minutes when Sheldrick was beaten by a Dennis free-kick from the edge of the box via the underside of the bar. Dan Pett replaced Lataille as Northwood set about recovering the deficit and they drew level on 74 minutes as Sam Jenkins' deep cross found Witham, whose stooping header found its way past Kennedy for his third goal in as many games.

Jabir Laraba made way for the pace of Tremayne Charles as Woods sought to expose the tiring hosts. And it was no surprise when Northwood went ahead on 80 minutes as Worrell converted at the far post after Kennedy could only parry Witham's shot after the latter was beautifully picked out by Sabti's chipped pass.

Worrell was instrumental once again as Woods confirmed their passage to the semi-finals as the flying winger was bundled over in the box, Sabti making no mistake from the penalty spot with six minutes left on the clock.

Kweku Lucan was introduced for Witham for the closing minutes and Northwood went close to adding further goals through Jenkins and Newton. But there were no further additions to the scoreline, Northwood reflecting on a job done despite the bumpy ride and AFC Hayes thinking what might have been.