Tooting & Mitcham United 0  Northwood 2

Saturday 7th January 2023


1 Andrew McCorkell    
2 Brandon Kalu    
3 Andy Lomas    
4 Riccardo Alexander-Greenaway    
5 Luke Tingey ©    
6 Romario Jonas    
7 Jake Tabor    
8 Junior Paiva    
9 Gareth Chendlik (81m)    
10 Juwon Akintunde (90m)    
11 Carl Stewart (63m)    
12 Ronan Hutchins    
14 Josh Helmore (81m)    
15 Harry Gallagher    
16 Teddy Stacey (63m)    
17 Sandro Costa (90m)    

Tooting: Dan Purdue, Nikolai Krokhin (Jake Rose 88m), Cory Walters-Wright , Nathan Daly , Jaiden Chang, Declan Nche, Jordan Clarke, Harvey Browne (Shamal Edwards 46m), Anuar Ceesay, Enoch Ako-Adjei (Andrew Sesay 77m), Manu Oke-William


Northwood made it three away wins on the spin as they recorded their first ever success at a wet and windy Imperial Fields.

Woods made a number of changes as they looked to bounce back from the disappointing home defeat to Hanworth Villa – Andy Lomas coming back in at left wing-back with Brandon Kalu moving into the three-man defence as Harry Gallagher made way, while Junior Pavia assumed the attacking midfielder role in place of Ronan Hutchins. There was also a change to the frontline as Gareth Chendlik was preferred to Josh Helmore for the recent signing’s full debut.

Both sides forced early corners in a brisk start to proceedings with the hosts going close as Manu Oke-William saw his header deflect off the upright before keeper Andrew McCorkell was called into action to deny the same player after Woods had gifted possession. At the other end, Northwood fashioned a good opportunity as Riccardo Alexander-Greenaway played in Jake Tabor who was denied by former Woods keeper Dan Purdue.

Chances continued to be created at both ends – Woods once again conceding possession and enabling Enoch Ako-Adejei to break clear, but McCorkell was quickly out to deny the Terrors number nine while Juwon Akintunde dragged his shot wide after Alexander-Greenaway and Lomas had combined to create the opening.

Woods were now offering a consistent threat down their right flank with Tabor’s strong running asking questions, the wing-back linking with Akintunde before Chendlik was denied at the near post. And the visitors went close again as Alexander-Greenaway headed wide from Akintunde’s cross.

Northwood continued to push for the opening goal with Tabor combining with Pavia before surging into the Tooting box and delivering a low cross which just evaded the stretching Akintunde at the far post.

The Terrors gave Woods a little reminder of their threat on the break as further sloppy play from the visitors led to an opportunity for Oke-William whose near post shot was gathered by McCorkell. And Oke-William was involved again as he got his head onto a deep freekick into the Northwood box but was unable to direct his effort on target.

But it was Woods who managed to break the deadlock two minutes before the break as Purdue was only able to deflect Akintunde’s shot from the angle into the path of Tabor who rifled the ball home to cap a fine first half performance for his second goal of the campaign.

PHOTOS by James Brown

Northwood began the second period in a positive fashion as Pavia worked himself into the Terrors box but his shot was comfortably gathered by Purdue.

Proceedings became increasingly scrappy as the wind and rain began to pick up once more and the hosts' frustrations were beginning to grow as they earned up a couple of cautions including one for former Woods midfielder Declan Nche. For Northwood, Romario Jonas escaped with only a caution for an infringement on a Tooting attacker with the hosts claiming a goalscoring opportunity had been denied.

Woods had tightened up the ship in the second half and they continued to look in control. And they confirmed their superiority with a second goal on 67 minutes following a foul on Pavia – Tabor’s free-kick from edge of the box deflected away from goal but met by Alexander-Greenaway who buried his header beyond Purdue for his second strike of the season.

As conditions worsened with wind, rain and hail sheeting across the ground, the referee called a temporary halt to proceedings to allow the squall to pass through. After a three-minute break, play resumed on an increasingly difficult surface.

Woods used their full quota of substitutions as they looked to manage the latter stages of the contest – Teddy Stacey, Helmore and Sandro Costa Dias Fernandes all entering the fray as replacements for Carl Stewart, Chendlik and Akintunde.

Northwood never looked in trouble for the remainder of the contest and Purdue was tested again as he dealt with shots from Pavia and Sandro before the referee called time on proceedings allowing the players to return to the sanctuary of the dressing rooms – the win maintaining the three-point lead at the top.

REPORT by Robin Piper