Southall 1  Northwood 2

Monday 26th December 2022


1 Andrew McCorkell    
2 Jake Tabor    
3 Brandon Kalu    
4 Harry Gallagher    
5 Luke Tingey ©    
6 Romario Jonas    
7 Ronan Hutchins (86m)    
8 Riccardo Alexander-Greenaway    
9 Josh Helmore (90m)    
10 Juwon Akintunde (90m)    
11 Carl Stewart    
12 Andy Lomas (90m)    
14 Teddy Stacey (86m)    
15 James Gurteen    
16 Rahim Jude-Boyd (90m)    
17 Joe Reade    

Southall: Michael Edegbe, Alex Nolan, Chinua Cole (Marcus Williams Adu-Nyard 81m), Jack Roper , Carl Pearce , Louis Dailey (Darreon Mark 55m), Ryan Hope, Jaden Thompson-Brissett, Jake Frailing, Luke Heneghan, Michael Bryan


Northwood claimed the local bragging rights over a tough Southall outfit to end 2022 on a winning note in the Boxing Day derby clash at the Robert Parker Stadium.

Woods set up with the same system which bore fruit in the previous outing at Sutton Common but with a change of personnel due to unavailability and fitness issues. Harry Gallagher came in to replace Junior Pavia in defence while Brandon Kalu slotted in at left wing-back with Andy Lomas reverting to the bench. There was also a return to the starting line-up for attacking midfielder Ronan Hutchins in the absence of Micah Jackson.

Northwood began on the front foot with Riccardo Alexander-Greenaway seeing his shot charged down in the box before a Jake Tabor back-header was gathered by keeper Michael Edegbe.

However, following their positive start some defensive hesitation created a couple of opportunities for the hosts, Luke Heneghan being presented with a chance, but the former Northwood man was unable to round keeper Andrew McCorkell with the latter dealing with the follow-up shot from Jaden Lee Thompson-Brissett. And failure to clear their lines once again almost cost Woods dear as Jake Fraling was adjudged to have been brought down by McCorkell but the Northwood stopper made sure justice was served as he kept out Ryan Hope’s penalty kick.

Woods looked to get back into their stride and a swift counter-attack saw Ronan Hutchins’ progress halted by a crude challenge from Chinua Cole who was cautioned for the indiscretion, Hutchins unable to inflict further punishment as his free-kick attempt flew narrowly wide.

But it was Southall who opened the scoring with 20 minutes on the clock, McCorkell producing a full-length save to keep out Fraling’s long-range effort but the ball ran loose and Thompson-Brissett reacted quickest to slot the ball home.

Northwood brushed themselves down and they went close as a sweeping move involving Tabor, Helmore and the over-lapping Kalu ended with Helmore’s first time shot narrowly clearing the Southall crossbar.

PHOTOS by James Brown

However, the hosts continued to ask questions of the Woods defence, Michael Bryan and Hope going close before a jinking run in the box from the tricky Fraling saw his shot deflected behind for a corner. And having prevented further damage being inflicted during a spell of Southall pressure, Northwood managed to draw level with a route-one effort on 39 minutes - McCorkell dealing with a Heneghan free-kick before launching a kick downfield which was latched onto by Juwon Akintunde who poked the ball beyond the advancing Edegbe.

And things got better for Northwood as they managed to go into the break with an unlikely lead following an incisive move involving Carl Stewart and Helmore, the latter sliding the ball across to Akintunde who sent an unerring shot into the roof of the net a minute into added time at the end of a topsy-turvy opening half.

Southall came out for the second period in determined fashion but for all their efforts they were struggling to make much of an impression on a resilient Northwood who had tightened up defensively with their fluid formation and were maintaining a good shape.

Northwood had the chance to put the contest to bed as Helmore played in Akintunde who was denied by Edegbe with the rebound coming back to the Woods striker who was denied a hat-trick as former Northwood skipper Carl Pearce blocked the follow-up.

At the other end, Woods continued to keep Southall at bay as the hosts struggled to create any meaningful chances. And Northwood made their first substitution with four minutes remaining, Teddy Stacey making a welcome return for his first appearance of the season following his long-term knee injury. And the ebullient Stacey was immediately involved as his flick-on released Akintunde who was denied once again by Edegbe.

Woods utilised their full quota of substitutions in added time as Lomas and Rahim Jude-Boyd replaced Helmore and Akintunde. But there was drama at the end of the six extra minutes as Woods defended a corner with Stacey clearing off the line and McCorkell bravely blocking as Northwood looked to scramble the ball clear, emotions getting the better of one or two in the melee which followed but which was swiftly broken up as the referee called time on proceedings – Woods opening up a four point gap at the top following Walton and Hersham’s home defeat to Leatherhead.

REPORT by Robin Piper