Leatherhead 2  Northwood 0

Saturday 28th January 2023


1 Andrew McCorkell    
2 Brandon Kalu    
3 Andy Lomas    
4 Riccardo Alexander-Greenaway    
5 Luke Tingey ©    
6 Romario Jonas    
7 Junior Paiva    
8 George Nicholas    
9 Gareth Chendlik (80m)    
10 Juwon Akintunde (64m)    
11 Carl Stewart (64m)    
12 Ronan Hutchins (64m)    
14 Josh Helmore (80m)    
15 Harry Gallagher    
16 Micah Jackson (64m)    
17 Sandro Costa    

Leatherhead: Slavomir Huk, Jamie Splatt, Louis Collins , Benedict Frempah, Fikayo Atewologun, Alpha Diallo (Luke Phair 87m), Daniel Hector, Kenny Beaney, Dave Tarpey (Lewis Pearch 87m), Omarr Lawson, Keane Anderson (Paul Chalobah 87m)


Rusty Northwood returned to action following a three week lay-off and went down to a disappointing defeat against an improving Leatherhead at Fetcham Grove. George Nicholas came into the Woods midfield for his first appearance since returning to the club while Junior Pavia reverted to the right wing-back berth following the departure of Jake Tabor.

Northwood made a positive start as they forced a couple of early corners which were dealt with by the Tanners defence. But Woods keeper Andrew McCorkell was soon called into action as he dealt with a shot on the turn from Keane Anderson.

Leatherhead were beginning to find their range as a couple of incisive counter attacks saw Nicholas clear the ball over his own bar and McCorkell gather a Dave Tarpey shot via the head of Luke Tingey. At the other end, appeals for a Northwood penalty were ignored as Riccardo Alexander-Greenaway went down in the Tanners box.

Woods were enjoying their fair share of possession and there was an opportunity for Juwon Akintunde after good work from Alexander-Greenaway, but the shot lacked the power to trouble Leatherhead stopper Slavomir Huk. But it was the Tanners who opened the scoring on 28 minutes, Daniel Hector firing over a low cross which was converted from close range by Omarr Larson.

Northwood went close to posting an immediate riposte as the overlapping Andy Lomas latched onto a Alexander-Greenaway flick-on in the Leatherhead box, but Huk was quickly out to smother the shot with the follow up being deflected for a corner. But Woods were fortunate not to concede again on the stroke of half-time break as Tarpey dragged his shot wide after being set up by Hector.

PHOTOS by James Brown

Woods showed good intent upon the resumption of play with Akintunde firing in a long-range attempt which was gathered by Huk. However, the hosts were soon pushing for a second goal, and this duly arrived on 55 minutes – McCorkell initially saving well from Anderson before the same player headed home unmarked as the ball was returned into the box.

Any hopes that Woods had of getting back into the contest were effectively dashed as they were reduced to ten men just after the hour, Nicholas’ attempted pass to Brandon Kalu being intercepted by Anderson who was deemed to have been denied a goalscoring opportunity as he was impeded as Kalu attempted to retrieve the situation.

Northwood made a double substitution as Ronan Hutchins and Micah Jackson were introduced for Akintunde and Carl Stewart. But it was the Leatherhead, who had clearly benefited from having played a couple of games while Woods had been kicking their heels, who threatened further goals with Hector and Tarpey both going close.

Substitute Josh Helmore entered the fray on 78 minutes as Gareth Chendlik made way, but there was to be no way no way back for Woods with Tarpey going close again and McCorkell saving well from Lewis Pearch before proceedings drew to a close.

REPORT by Robin Piper