Northwood 2  Guernsey 1

Saturday 4th February 2023


1 Andrew McCorkell    
2 Sam Jenkins    
3 Andy Lomas    
4 Riccardo Alexander-Greenaway    
5 Luke Tingey ©    
6 James Gurteen    
7 Sandro Costa (81m)    
8 Micah Jackson (68m)    
9 Josh Helmore (75m)    
10 Gareth Chendlik     
11 Carl Stewart    
12 Junior Paiva (68m)    
14 Juwon Akintunde (75m)    
15 Romario Jonas    
16 Teddy Stacey (81m)    
17 Harry Gallagher    

Guernsey: Josh Addison, Thomas Vaudin, Jamie Dodd , Thomas Dodds, Jacob Fallaize, Matt Loaring , David Merris, Danny Hale, Samuel Murray, Ross Allen, Brandon Wallace (Keene Domaille 67m )


Northwood returned to winning ways with their first win at The Skyline since mid-November as they overcame a spirited Guernsey outfit to get their promotion challenge back on track. Woods reverted to a four-man defence and welcomed back long-term absentees Sam Jenkins and James Gurteen while there was also a first start for wing man Sandro Costa.

The home side started brightly and fashioned an early opportunity as Andy Lomas fed Josh Helmore whose pullback found the perfectly positioned Gareth Chendlik, but unfortunately his shot cleared the Guernsey crossbar.

The Channel Islanders responded with a couple of attacks of their own as Andrew McCorkell was called upon to deal with a long range shot from Sam Murray before the same player directed a header into the arms of the Northwood keeper.

Woods maintained their positive start with Sandro making an impression with a series of jinking runs from Northwood’s left flank. And the hosts continued to create openings with Riccardo Greenaway-Alexander failing to get enough on his shot to trouble Guernsey keeper Josh Addison after a Jenkins corner was recycled, before Chendlik linked well with Helmore as the latter saw his shot kept out by the legs of the Green Lions stopper.

Northwood continued to hold the ascendancy with Micah Jackson playing in the overlapping Jenkins who pulled his shot wide of the far post while a couple of corners were safely dealt with by the Guernsey rearguard.

Woods made a slight adjustment as Jackson and Sandro swapped flanks. But the visitors gave Northwood a little reminder of their threat as they won a freekick in a central position, Ross Allen not far away with his 25-yard attempt.

But the deadlock was finally broken on 34 minutes amidst an air of controversy, Helmore latching onto the loose ball after Addison had parried Greenaway-Alexander’s shot before squaring to the on-rushing Chendlik who bundled the ball home on the goal-line with the visitors claiming the ball was helped in with the use of the arm – the goal allowed to stand after consultation between referee and assistant.

And the Green Lions’ sense of grievance was compounded as Woods increased their lead three minutes before half-time – Sandro combining with Helmore before Addison kept out Jackson’s shot with Gurteen finally converting from close range after an almighty scramble to add to the goal he scored in the reverse fixture.

PHOTOS by James Brown & Len Kerswill

Northwood came out after the break with renewed endeavour as they looked to put the contest to bed, and they went close as Sandro delivered a perfectly weighted pass into the path of Chendlik, whose shot brushed the outside of the upright.

Woods continued to see plenty of the ball, but the Green Lions were keeping them at an arm’s length and denying further goalscoring opportunities. And Northwood decided to freshen things up as Junior Pavia was introduced for Jackson while Helmore made way for Juwon Akintunde.

Northwood appeared to be settling for what they had as they seemed to take their foot off the gas slightly. And they were given a little wake-up call as Guernsey, who were looking increasingly confident, threatened through Murray who broke clear but was denied by the legs of McCorkell.

Woods made their final change as they looked to shore up the midfield area, Teddy Stacey replacing Sandro with the contest becoming increasingly fractious with the hosts picking a couple of bookings. But the Green Lions ensured it was going to be a nervous finale for Northwood as they pulled a goal back on 89 minutes, substitute Keane Domaille converting on the rebound after Allen’s rasping shot had hit the underside of the bar.

And Guernsey went close to spoiling Northwood’s afternoon with the last action of the afternoon at the end of four minutes stoppage time as Jamie Dodd’s long throw found its way to Domaiile who hooked his effort over at the far post much to Woods’ relief – the win consolidating their position in third place level on points with Walton and Hersham.

REPORT by Robin Piper