Chertsey Town 0  Northwood 1

Saturday 4th March 2023


1 Andrew McCorkell    
2 Sam Jenkins    
3 James Gurteen (29m)    
4 Carl Stewart    
5 Luke Tingey    
6 Keagan Cole ©    
7 Shane Cojocarel (81m)    
8 Teddy Stacey     
9 Gareth Chendlik    
10 Dan Williams    
11 Junior Paiva    
12 Parris Mason    
14 Josh Helmore    
15 Harry Gallagher (29m)    
16 Riccardo Alexander-Greenaway (81m)    
17 Brandon Kalu    

Chertsey: Nicholas Jupp, Manolis Gogonas, Mason Welch-Turner, Glenn Yala (Jordan Hamilton-Olise 78m), Quincy Rowe, Darryl Harrison, Samuel Murphy, Ronny Mfinda (Trevan Robinson 64m), Troy Walters, William Montague, Bryan Taylor (Jonathan Hippolyte 71m)


Northwood consolidated their third-place position in the table as they completed a double over their play-off rivals in a hard-fought win at Alwyns Lane. There were a couple of changes to the team which started the midweek win over Uxbridge with Keagan Cole replacing Harry Gallagher in the back three, while Junior Pavia came in for Micah Jackson at right wing-back.

The Woods were given an early scare as the Curfews defended a free-kick well to counter-attack quickly with Troy Walters shooting narrowly over. But Northwood settled well and Shane Cojocarel almost got on the end of a Gareth Chendlik knockdown from Pavia’s cross into the box before Dan Williams dragged a ball back across the Chertsey six-yard box with no red shirt to apply the finish.

The Curfews continued to look dangerous on the break and the crossbar came to the visitors rescue as Bryan Taylor got on the end of Sam Murphy’s low cross with the referee waving away penalty appeals as ‘keeper Andrew McCorkell dealt with the loose ball.

Play continued to flow from end-to-end, Quincy Rowe heading over from a corner for the hosts before Williams forced Curlews’ goalkeeper Nick Jupp into a near-post save after latching on to a blocked clearance.

Nothwood were forced into a change as they lost James Gurteen to an ankle problem just before the half-hour with Gallagher his replacement. And the rejigged defence was tested as they blocked shots from Glenn Yala and Walters as Chertsey stepped up the pressure.

Woods continued to work some useful positions as Cojocarel threaded the ball through to Chendlik who was crowded out by Yala as he shaped to shoot from close range before Luke Tingey headed over from a Cole cross. But Chertsey produced a strong finish to the first period as Murphy sent an effort across the face of the Northwood goal before McCorkell produced a near-post save to deny Walters.

The Woods were forced into another substitution at the break as Sam Jenkins succumbed to a foot injury with Brandon Kalu replacing him at left wing-back. And the visitors had some early defending to do as Tingey blocked a dangerous ball into the six-yard box, while at the other end, Teddy Stacey released Williams who cut into the box but his shot was comfortably dealt with by Jupp.

PHOTOS by James Brown

Chertsey had visibly upped the pace as they looked to break the deadlock and McCorkell had to be on his mettle as he gathered Billy Montague’s shot at the second attempt.

But it was Northwood who grabbed the crucial goal on 63 minutes – Keagan Cole’s free-kick to the far post being recycled by an overhead kick from Tingey but only cleared as far as Cojocarel who delivered a sublime finish into the bottom corner with acrobatics to match as he celebrated his first goal for the club.

Chertsey used their full quota of substitutions as they looked to claw their way back and inevitably Woods were forced onto the backfoot and having to defend a series of corners, Trevan Robinson going close with a header. But resolute Northwood continued to stand firm with the outstanding Tingey and Cole marshalling the defence.

Goalscorer Cojocarel made way for Riccardo Alexander-Greenaway as Woods looked to bolster their defences. And the Curfews continued to pound the Northwood defence with McCorkell keeping out a long-range attempt from Mason Welch-Turner before the hosts forced another succession of corners in the closing minutes – Jupp seeing his header blocked as the ‘keeper came up for one last corner in stoppage-time.

However, brave Northwood deservedly weathered the storm and there were jubilant scenes at the end between players and supporters as Woods celebrated their third win in eight days.

REPORT by Robin Piper