Basingstoke Town 0  Northwood 1

Saturday 15th October 2022


1 Andrew McCorkell    
2 Sam Jenkins (69m)    
3 Andy Lomas    
4 Riccardo Alexander-Greenaway    
5 Luke Tingey ©    
6 James Gurteen    
7 Carl Stewart    
8 Micah Jackson (89m)    
9 Josh Helmore (81m)    
10 Sydney Ibie    
11 Jake Tabor    
12 Ergys Pepaj    
14 Juwon Akintunde (81m)    
15 Rahim Jude-Boyd    
16 Brandon Kalu (69m)    
17 Ronan Hutchins (89m)    

Basingstoke: Mark Scott, Ben Mason, James Howarth (Callum Winchcombe 83m), Stefan Brown (Brody Peart 83m), Scott Armsworth , Billy Upton , Bradley Wilson , James Clark, Ezio Touray, Ashleigh  Artwell (Anton Rodgers 68m), George Reid


Northwood made it two wins out of two at Winklebury as they followed up last season’s success with another win over an in-form Basingstoke Town to extend their lead at the top of the table.

Woods welcomed back a several players who were rested for the midweek Senior Cup win over Ashford Town, left-back Andy Lomas replacing Brandon Kalu while skipper Luke Tingey returned to central defence in place of the suspended Harry Gallagher. Carl Stewart was restored to the midfield with Ergys Pepaj making way while in attack, Juwon Akintunde and Rahim Jude-Boyd reverted to the bench with Josh Helmore and top scorer Sydney Ibie coming back in.

The hosts were pushed onto the back foot from the off as Jake Tabor had a shot blocked from Tingey’s throw into the box before Micah Jackson threaded a ball through to Ibie who shot wide of the near post.

Northwood proceeded to keep the ‘Stoke pinned back as they forced a series of corners, James Gurteen seeing his shot rebound off the far post as he latched onto Jackson’s delivery before Tabor and Helmore had bites at the cherry as the ball bounced around the home box.

Woods’ high pressing was preventing Basingstoke from creating any meaningful passages of play. However, the hosts managed to win a corner in a rare foray into opposition territory which resulted in Billy Upton’s shot being charged down by the Northwood defence. And Woods threatened again before the half time as they worked another good position, but Jackson was slightly off balance as his speculative effort flew wide of the target.

Woods came out for the second period in a positive frame of mind and Stewart and Helmore combined to play Tabor into the box, the attacker upended by a lunging Upson with the referee pointing to the penalty spot – Ibie stepping up to send keeper Mark Scott the wrong way for his fifth penalty success in six appearances to give Northwood the lead on 50 minutes.

Northwood looked to build on their lead as they continued to ask all the questions, Jackson seeing his low shot kept out by Scott with Ibie’s follow up being blocked while Riccardo Alexander-Greenaway saw his shot from distance fly wide of the woodwork.

PHOTOS by James Brown

Basingstoke eventually began to offer more an attacking threat, Ezio Touray flicking the ball over Sam Jenkins before unleashing a low drive which was deflected onto the inside of the post by the fingertips of Woods keeper Andrew McCorkell and cleared away to safety.

The ‘Stoke maintained their attacking tempo with Ashleigh Artwell running at the Northwood defence before releasing a shot which was dealt with by McCorkell.

Woods made a change with 20 minutes left on the clock with Jenkins making way for Kalu who slotted into right-back. And having dealt with a spell of Basingstoke pressure, Northwood began to probe the hosts once again – Alexander-Greenaway’s shot being blocked with Jackson’s follow-up clearing the bar before a Tabor freekick was touched onto the crossbar by Scott.

Woods continued the search for another strike which might put the game to bed, Jackson releasing Ibie whose low cross was intercepted by Scott Armsworth as Helmore looked to pounce.

Akintinde was introduced for Helmore on 81 minutes while Basingstoke utilised their full quota of substitutes as they looked to get something out of the contest. But the hosts were growing increasingly frustrated as Upton and Bradley were cautions in the closing minutes.

Woods made their final change with a minute left on the clock as the impressive Jackson made way for Ronan Hutchins. And the visitors had another moment to deal with in added time as Touray had a shot blocked before dragging the rebound wide.

But Basingstoke were unable to find a way through an obdurate Northwood defence, which had been superbly marshalled by the imperious Tingey, with Woods securing the points to open up a seven point gap over second-placed Marlow.

REPORT by Robin Piper