AFC HAYES   Saturday 19th April 2014   NORTHWOOD FC

Calor Southern League Central Division

  AFC Hayes 1  Northwood 0  

Mendy 50

Team line-up  

  Team line-up
1 Balvinder Khiara     1 Berkley Laurencin
2 James Walters     2 Giles Townsend
3 Tashan Jordan     3 Jerome Federico
4 Ricky Machel     4 Mark Burgess (29m)
5 Chas Goode     5 James Burgess
6 Paul Underwood (83m)     6 Tommy Walsh
7 Mitchel Gough     7 Joakim Ehui
8 Jake Cass (68m)     8 George Nicholas (46m)
9 Tony Mendy     9 Niko Muir
10 Andrew Harewood (68m)     10 Dave Lawrence
11 Rhys Rabess     11 Karl Oliyide
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Chas Crane (68m)     12 Craig White (46m)
14 Rhys Paul (83m)     14 James Duncan
(29m) (77m)
15 Lee McManus (68m)     15 Tom Pegrum (77m)
16 Chevvy Hart     16 -
17 -     17 -
      Referee: Dave Sheldrake; Assistants: Luis Nunes & Daniel Simpson      
  REPORT by Alan Evans    PHOTOS by James Brown  


Northwood’s unbeaten away league record in 2014 came to an end with this narrow defeat at near-neighbours AFC Hayes, who were grateful for an excellent goalkeeping display and a sharp-eyed assistant referee.

The home side had a string of nine recent defeats behind them but there was an even start to the game with both Andrew Harewood and Tashan Jordan forcing goalkeeper Berkley Laurencin into action with a couple of comfortable saves. At the other end Jerome Federico went close with a long-range effort while Tommy Walsh drove a low shot just wide.

The best of the early chances went to Northwood though when a good move involving Karl Oliyide saw Federico get forward and cut a good ball back to Niko Muir but the Woods top scorer shot over from a good position. A minute later Dave Lawrence threaded a fine ball for Oliyide to run onto and he appeared to be tugged back by his marker before seeing his eventual shot blocked by goalkeeper Bobby Khiara for a corner. It looked like a penalty but the Referee waved away appeals. The resulting corner zipped across the six-yard box without the required touch.

Northwood had got on top at this stage and then another attack flowed forward with Federico, Lawrence and Muir linking and setting up Oliyide for a cracking shot that Khiara pushed wide. There was a setback on 29 minutes as Mark Burgess was forced off with a hamstring problem, but it made little difference and a typically powerful free-kick from distance by Lawrence smashed against the bar with the keeper nowhere.

Lawrence then missed a great opportunity after robbing Paul Underwood and racing into the box with just Khiara to beat. He chipped it past him but without enough power and Underwood did well to get back and clear the ball. George Nicholas was next to have an effort blocked with substitute James Duncan shooting over from the rebound, but the home side rallied before the break with Tony Mendy going close with a shot and then putting a free header wide of the target.

Craig White replaced a targeted Nicholas at half-time and just three minutes in a floated free-kick saw James Burgess flick a header wide of the far post. But two minutes later, AFC Hayes grabbed the lead as a corner fell to the feet of Mendy and although James Burgess appeared to clear the ball off the line, an assistant referee thought differently and signalled a goal.

Muir was beginning to get more involved in attack and he set up Oliyide for a great chance on 56 minutes but Khiara saved well and although the ball looped up, White could only head wide of the post. Muir then supplied a good wide ball for Lawrence who hit a low, first-time shot that Khiara got down to and saved well. Oliyide and Lawrence were both denied in quick succession by further saves by the Brook keeper, who was in fine form while Mendy did enjoy a swift counter but shot straight at Laurencin.

After Muir worked some space but then shot well wide, Hayes hit back with Laurencin forced into a fine save to push over a good strike from Mitch Gough followed by a run from Rhys Rabess which finished with a strike that flew over the bar.

The Woods kept up the pressure and still seemed likely to get the equaliser they deserved but Khiara thought differently and got down low to tip an accurate Muir strike round the post. Then Joakim Ehui burst into the box and saw his shot parried by the keeper. Muir followed up and should have scored but Khiara recovered to keep it out and his side ahead.

Mendy had the chance to make the game safe in stoppage-time as he burst through and shot straight at Laurencin but Hayes had done enough to take all three points.