NORTHWOOD FC   Tuesday 8th October 2013   CHERTSEY TOWN FC

Calor Southern League Central Division

  Northwood 8  Chertsey Town 3   

Brown 16, 73
Grant 21, Muir 25, 40, 54
Lawrence 42, Nicholas 83

Pomroy 34,
O'Regan 68
Sharp 72

Team line-up  

  Team line-up
1 Jake Knight     1 Garry Aulsbery
2 Ramil Sheriff     2 Joe Green
3 Ryan Phillips (71m)     3 Anson Cousins
4 Mark Burgess     4 Ryan Blake
5 Steve Brown     5 Tom McGarry
6 George Nicholas     18 David Johnston
7 Joakim Ehui (58m)     7 Tom O'Regan
8 Craig White     8 Tom Betts (59m)
9 Niko Muir     14 Matt Reece
10 Dave Lawrence     10 John Pomroy
11 Reece Grant (75m)     11 Andy White (59m)
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Oliver Sprague (75m)     12 Jordan Wain (59m)
14 Rashaun Raphael (71m)     9 Ricky Hogsden
15 Aaron McLeish     15 Danny Sharp (59m)
16 Jon-Jo Bates     16 -
17 Sonny Bailey-Aird (58m)     17 -
      Referee: Tim Donnellan; Assistants: Ryan Chamberlain & John Wynne      
  REPORT by Alan Evans     PHOTOS by James Brown  


Records are there to be broken but with the Woods having scored just six goals in nine previous league games this season, the goal-rush against the division’s bottom club was unexpected but nonetheless very welcome.

This was the first time that Northwood had notched more than seven in a League match since their final title-winning Spartan South Midlands League season of 1991/92 when Beckton United were defeated 12-1 in April 1992 with the 8-0 win over Clapton in a 1999 FA Cup match being the only time since that date that as many as eight goals had been recorded in a match. The last time that exactly eight had been scored in a league game dates back to November 1977 when Mill End were beaten 8-0 in a Middlesex County League fixture with an 11-2 success over BROB Barnet in September 1984 being the only other occurrence of more than seven goals since that date.

Manager Mark Burgess was forced into one change from the side that had been beaten by AFC Hayes in the FA Trophy a few days earlier, slotting into defence himself to replace suspended brother James. On-loan striker Reece Grant also returned with Sonny Bailey-Aird dropping to the subs bench.

As the scoreline suggests, it was an open game from the start with Jake Knight forced to tip over a long-range effort early on before Dave Lawrence set up Ramil Sheriff for a shot that drifted wide. But the opening goal came on 16 minutes when a half-cleared free-kick saw Burgess knock the ball wide to Niko Muir, whose accurate centre was met by a powerful header from Steve Brown to notch his first goal for the club.

Joakim Ehui saw an effort blocked soon after but then Grant showed his pace on the left to cut in and blast a shot past debut goalkeeper Garry Aulsbery at the near post into the roof of the net. After just 25 minutes, the Woods added a third when Ryan Phillips got forward down the left and knocked in a cross which gave Muir a simple chance to convert from close-range.

Chertsey were not without chances of their own though and Knight kept out an effort from Tom O’Regan before the Curfews did pull a goal back on 34 minutes. Andy White was the architect, latching onto a good ball in and racing into the box before sliding it across for ace striker John Pomroy to convert at the far post.

The Woods powered forward again in response with George Nicholas picking up a ball from Phillips and working space for a shot which was clipped just wide of the post. Then, Brown headed an Ehui corner back across goal where Muir turned sharply to fire a shot into the roof of the net and restore Northwood’s three-goal cushion on 41 minutes.

It got worse for Chertsey two minutes later when Lawrence broke free on the right and although he saw his original shot blocked, he recovered quickly and arrowed another past Aulsbery and inside the far post. Lawrence almost added his second just before the break but his accurate shot was pushed wide by the diving keeper.
Knight was back in action early in the second half, saving well from Pomroy after Phillips appeared to be bundled over but on 54 minutes, Craig White was tripped on a rare foray into the box and the Referee pointed to the spot. The Woods’ lack of prowess from twelve-yards over the last year or so has been well documented (only 3 scored in 12 attempts) but number thirteen proved lucky for Muir as he confidently tucked the ball past Aulsbery to complete his hat-trick and make it 6-1.

Burgess should have added another when he headed a Phillips corner wide at the far post but the game lost a bit of the high tempo as substitutions were made. It allowed Chertsey a way back in and after Danny Sharp had shot wide, the impressive O’Regan netted a second goal on 68 minutes as a punched clearance from Knight dropped to him and he lobbed it back into an empty net. Four minutes later a scramble in the goalmouth allowed Jordan Wain to pounce and grab another goal for the Curfews from close-in and suddenly it was 6-3 with almost twenty minutes to play.

Any thoughts the visitors held of a stunning comeback was ended though when Lawrence knocked in a corner and Brown notched his second with a firm header at the near post. The final ten minutes saw the Curfews battle on gallantly and Knight saved well from Pomroy and Sharp but it was at the other end that the final goal came on 83 minutes as good work from Muir saw him set up Nicholas who slotted home for number eight.

It was a much-needed three points for the Woods who had lost three league games in succession and dropped into the bottom five.