Wembley Institute 7  Northwood United 4

Harrow & District League Senior Challenge Cup Final

Saturday 4th April 1931

Lower Mead, Station Road, Harrow
A. Jefferies
Kick Off
B. Bell
3.00 p.m.
B. Prince
J. E. Evans
T. Bell
J. Gill
Northwood U
H. Hall
Bunce 2,
Brown 2
J. Brown
B. Bunce
Wembley Inst
F. Taylor
John 2, Churchman 4, Booth
H. Gutteridge

Lower Mead, Station-road, was placed at the disposal of the Harrow and District League by the Wealdstone Football Club on Saturday afternoon, and the final tie of the League Senior Challenge Cup was decided. Wembley Institute were first winners of the trophy when the event was inaugurated last season, were again the finalists, their opponents being Northwood United, who are well in the running for the championship of the first division. A keen tussle ensued, with Wembley comfortable winners at the finish by seven goals to four.

Northwood put up a creditable display against the premier leaguers, bearing in mind especially the youth of their team, which included four boys of 17 years: Jefferies (reserve goalkeeper), B. Bell (right back), J. Gill (left half) and F. Taylor (inside left). Had they had the services of their regular goalkeeper the result would probably have been closer, as several of the Institute goals were simple affairs, and would, doubtless, have been prevented by a more experienced keeper, though Jefferies did some good work. The Institute played confidently all through, but it required a goal against them to energise their efforts.

The first of the eleven goals was scored by Northwood, Hall the outside right, delivered a shot from the wing and the ball dropped behind goalkeeper Heatherman, for Bunce, the centre forward, to dash forward and complete the effort. Churchman, who initiated many of the Institute movements by well-placed passes, soon opened the way for the equaliser with a pass to John on the right wing. That player went ahead and scored with a fast drive.

Churchman was conspicuous in the acquisition of the second goal: he sent the ball to Heathcote, whose shot struck one of the posts. The ball rebounded across the goalmouth to Churchman, who promptly dispatched it into the net. The Institute's third goal was obtained from a penalty-kick taken by Booth, following which Heatherman was occupied with several warm shots before Bunce scored Northwood's second goal in peculiar circumstances. He kicked ahead, and while a defender was preventing him from following up, the goalkeeper evidently misjudged the position, and the ball rolled over the line.

At half-time the Institute led 3-2. Soon after the interval another hard shot from John made the score 4-2 in the Institute's favour. Bunce, for Northwood, showed enterprise and dash, but he delayed his final shot too long. On one occasion he beat five opponents, and then failed to utilise the advantage he had gained. In contrast Churchman calmly beat his man, including the goalkeeper, and leisurely tapped the ball Into the goal.

The same player added the sixth for his side, after which their lead was reduced by a good goal from Brown, Northwood's inside right. Churchman scored again, his fourth of the match, after the goalkeeper had failed to hold the ball from a ground shot; and Brown completed the scoring off a pass from Taylor.
The Institute were definitely the superior side in an interesting match, their outstanding players being Booth, the captain, who at centre half was thoroughly efficient in all his work; Churchman who was a clever leader of the attack, John's thrust and shooting powers were often a source of danger.

Northwood were always keen triers and were never dispirited. Bell, at centre half, worked tremendously hard. Brown and Bunce were strong attackers, and Hall, on the right wing, played an excellent game. Taylor (inside left) is a young player of promise, his passing being particularly good.