WALTON CASUALS   Wednesday 13th March 2013   NORTHWOOD FC

Isthmian Veterans' Cup semi-final

  Walton Casuals 0  Northwood 4   


Hart 26, Yeoman 28, J Burgess 48, Yaku 78

Team line-up  

  Team line-up
1 Steve Davis     1 Darren Bonfield
2 Steve Livey     2 Dave Nolan
3 Spencer Collins     3 Richard McDonagh
4 Simon Novel     4 Mark Burgess
5 Anthony O’Donnell     5 Danny Butler
6 Chris Donovan     6 Gary Williams
7 Lee Davison     7 Christian Metcalfe
8 Mark Postins     8 James Burgess
9 Simon Crabb     9 Danny Yeoman
10 William Powell     10 Lawrence Yaku
11 Graeme Cooksey     11 Gavin Hart
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Lee Dynan     12 Steve Hale
14 Richard Cromains     14 Dave Richards
15 Keith Goggin     15 Andy Cook
16 Deon Oakley     16 Craig McIntosh
17 -     17 -
      Referee: Lewis Gordon; Assistants: Dave Solly & Rod Van Niekerk      
  REPORT and PHOTO by Alan Evans  




Northwood’s old-boys stormed into the final of the Isthmian Veterans Cup with a comprehensive victory away at Walton Casuals, and will now meet old rivals Metropolitan Police. It was over four months since the Woods had romped to a 5-0 victory over Leiston in the first round, but Manager Paul Watkins pretty much managed to field the same squad for this semi-final, which was quite a feat in itself. The squad had over 2,000 appearances for the club between them, so there is no shortage of experience, and everyone played their part in this victory.

There was a slow start to the game as both sides sized each other up and there was ten minutes on the clock when the first attacking move saw Lawrence Yaku slip a good ball through to Danny Yeoman who was denied by home goalkeeper Steve Davis who smothered his shot well. Six minutes later a good move saw James Burgess put Yaku in and his chip had the keeper beaten but the ball bounced wide of the goal.

Northwood were well on top by now, and after 23 minutes Richard McDonagh delivered a good ball in from the left and James Burgess headed the ball on and just wide of the post. A minute later it was playmaker Christian Metcalfe who drove forward and got a shot in on target, but again Davis managed to get down low and keep his effort out.

Gavin Hart combined with Metcalfe to play a ball in to the dangerous Yaku, whose shot on the turn flashed over the top but the opening goal was not far away. It came after 26 minutes with Yaku robbing a defender out wide and knocking in a cross which dropped neatly for Hart to volley inside the post.

Two minutes later another good move saw Yaku provide the ball again that Yeoman ran onto and his shot across the keeper went in off the far post to put the Woods further ahead. The rest of the half saw Mark Burgess take centre stage with some tireless running from midfield but a series of shots failed to find the target and as half-time arrived, the home side would have still been hopeful.

However, just three minutes into the second-half, those hopes were dashed further as a half-cleared corner was returned goalwards by Hart and a scramble in the six-yard box saw James Burgess force the ball over the line. Yaku and substitute Dave Richards put efforts wide and then Metcalfe fired just over as the Woods continued to dominate.

Steve Hale replaced Hart and after 68 minutes was given a great chance to score after Mark Burgess had won a tackle and set him up, but he swept the ball over a gaping goal from six yards. Goalkeeper Darren Bonfield had rarely been troubled thanks to a superbly dominant defensive display from Danny Butler and Gary Williams, but on 71 minutes, a good ball through the middle put Keith Goggin in and his low shot brought out the best in the ‘keeper as he dived to push the ball wide.

Yaku saw another good shot pushed out by Davis after 74 minutes but the Woods' record goalscorer was not to be denied a goal and he got it four minutes later when he raced through onto a long ball to slip a shot past the keeper and make it 4-0.

Hale went closest to adding to that scoreline in the closing stages but shot wide after latching on to a Yaku header and there was time for a five-minute cameo appearance for Andy Cook but the Woods had done enough to book their place in what will be their second Isthmian Veterans Cup Final.