NORTHWOOD FC   Tuesday 19th February 2013   AFC HAYES

Evo-Stik Southern League Central Division

  Northwood 5   Hayes 3   

White 14, Hawkins 68, 75
Phillips 84, Muir 90

Mendy 29, Shennan 58
Williams 85

Team line-up  

  Team line-up
1 James Reading     1 Ben Goode
2 Ricky Rogers     2 James Walters
3 Ryan Phillips     3 Charlie Crane
4 Brad Hewitt     4 Ben Dyett
5 Reece Yorke     5 Tom Martin (70m)
6 Craig White     6 Jack Buckle
7 Samuel Labinjo (55m)     7 Aban Majeed (78m)
8 James Burgess     8 Chris Day (46m)
9 Bradley Wilkinson (55m)     9 Lawrie Shennan
10 Dean Worman (66m)     10 Tony Mendy
11 Romaine Walker     11 Tash Jordan
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 George Nicholas     12 Shaun Mangan (70m)
14 Lee Grant     14 Lucas Williams
15 Jerome Federico (55m)     15 Mike Vincent (78m)
16 Oliver Hawkins (55m)     16 Adam Willis (46m)
17 Niko Muir (66m)     17 Andrew Harewood
      Referee: Lee Forrester; Assistants: Wayne Cartmel & Stuart Peter      
  REPORT by Alan Evans  

With the League Cup quarter-final only a couple of nights away, manager Mark Burgess chose to rest a few key players for this local derby league fixture, with all five substitutes from the weekend game starting along with former Woods midfielder James Burgess who came in on a dual-registration basis from Harrow Borough. The Woods had won 6-0 at Farm Park back in August but the visitors had enjoyed much improvement since then and a tough contest was expected, but Northwood started well.

Dean Worman shot wide early on and then Bradley Wilkinson latched onto a defensive error but his shot lacked power and was easily dealt with by goalkeeper Ben Goode. Then, on 14 minutes, another mid-directed header gifted Craig White a chance and he raced into the box before coolly slipping a shot inside the near post for the opening goal.

The Brook looked dangerous on the break though with plenty of pace and James Reading was forced into a good save from Tony Mendy after Burgess had lost possession in midfield. After 28 minutes, Brad Hewitt made a rare mistimed tackle when trying to prevent Tashan Jordan from getting through on goal and it meant a penalty and a yellow card was the result. Mendy stepped up to roll the ball home to level the scores.

It led to a spell where AFC Hayes were on top again, though the closest they came was when Mendy fired just over a few minutes before the break. Romaine Walker, playing a central role, had a shot saved by Goode before a double substitution introduced Oliver Hawkins and Jerome Federico as replacements for Wilkinson and Samuel Labinjo.

It failed to have an immediate effect as Worman picked up a booking and then a quick break saw Mendy show good control and then spread a fine pass wide to Lawrie Shennan, who finished well to put the visitors ahead on 58 minutes. At this stage, there was little to suggest what was to follow but three minutes later Hawkins got onto the end of a fine Walker cross to head the ball down into the danger zone but the ball was cleared.

It was after 68 minutes that the Woods levelled things up again. Hawkins picked up a ball from Walker and sprayed it wide to Ryan Phillips. The full-back curled in a great cross which Hawkins met with a powerful header that gave Goode no chance. Walker shot wide of the far post soon after as Northwood picked up the pace once again and after 75 minutes they were in front. This time it was Federico who did the damage with a blistering run down the right, and his inviting ball across the six-yard box was perfect for Hawkins to sweep it into the roof of the net.

It got even better for the Woods after 84 minutes when a free-kick was awarded just outside the box and Phillips curled the ball inside the far post for his first goal for the club, though Goode would have been disappointed that he was unable to keep it out. But straight from the restart, AFC Hayes showed they were not out of it, as the ball broke forward to substitute Lucas Williams and he drove a shot past Reading that nestled in the corner and suddenly it was 4-3 with all to play for again in the final five minutes.

But it was Northwood who put the result beyond doubt in the 90th minute when White cut a ball back to substitute Niko Muir, who toe-poked a shot across Goode and inside the post for his third goal in four games.
In the end, the Woods notched their first home league victory since the end of October, completing a high-scoring double over their near-neighbours and warmed up well for the visit to Slough Town in the League Cup on Thursday night.