Crowborough Athletic 0  Northwood 2

18th October 2008


Mitch Swain 1
Danny Power 2
Danny Murphy 3
Richard Orlu 4
Mark Burgess 5
John Christian 6
Danny Brown 7
Anthony Page 8
Otis Williams 9
Abdul Yoki 10
Rob Ursell 11
Eric Gbio (5) 12
Laurie Walters 14
James Linehan (11) 15
Sean Sonner 16
Rob Pearce 17
Ryman League One North
Community Stadium,
Kick Off
3.00 p.m.
Ursell 12, 79
Christian, Murphy, Yoki
Sent Off

Crowborough Athletic

1 Mark Oldroyd
2 John Sinclair
3 David Soutar
4 Andy Boyle
5 Steve Hunt
6 Brendan Sebuliba
7 Wayne Clarke
8 Luke Gedling
9 Gavin Gordon
10 Andrew Ducille
11 Kieron Wilson
12 Matt Gordon (6)
14 Dave Adams (3)
15 Ross Campbell (9)




Match Report
by Robin Piper


Northwood successfully negotiated a potentially difficult trip to East Sussex to move into the next round of the F.A. Carlsberg Trophy with a brace of goals from Rob Ursell.

Although the Crows have had a tough introduction to life in the Ryman League, they enjoyed a good run in the F.A. Cup by taking Harlow to a replay in the third qualifying round before losing in midweek, so Woods knew they faced a stiff test.

Colin Payne had to reshuffle his troops once more with Dwane Williams having not recovered sufficiently from his eye injury whilst Sean Sonner continues to be troubled by his hamstring so had to settle for a place on the bench. Michael Gordon was also unavailable so Danny Brown took his place on the right flank, and Woods were able to welcome back Rob Ursell and Anthony Page.

Crowborough had the first chance of the afternoon as early as the second minute, when a quick break found Wayne Clarke in a good position but his shot flew over the crossbar.

Northwood were quickly into their stride and they threatened from an Ursell corner, but Otis Williams was unable to keep his header down.

However, the opening goal wasn’t long in coming as Abdul Yoki got to the by-line before pulling the ball back to Ursell, whose shot was too strong for Crows’ goalkeeper Mark Oldroyd to give Woods a 12th minute lead and Ursell his first goal in Northwood colours.

Woods were immediately on the attack once more as they looked to press home their advantage, and Williams’ wasn’t far away with a shot on the turn.

But Crowborough were looking dangerous on the break with their direct style of play, and Mitch Swain was called into action as he saved bravely at the feet of Clarke after a sweeping move.

Chances were being created at both ends as an entertaining opening half ebbed and flowed. Danny Murphy was denied by a point-blank save from Oldroyd, whilst Swain was called upon to deal with Luke Gedling’s low drive.

Northwood enjoyed a strong finish to the opening period as they forced the Crows onto the back foot. Oldroyd had to be alert as he tipped over Murphy’s in-swinging corner, whilst the Crowborough stopper was quickly off his line to beat Brown to Ursell’s neat through ball.

Northwood were working themselves into good positions, but Williams was unable to get a clean contact on Murphy’s cross, whilst Ursell’s curling effort from the corner of the box flew narrowly over the far post.

And Northwood almost capped a fine first half with a second goal in the final minute, Williams winning the ball on the halfway before running the length of the Crowborough half, but his rising shot narrowly cleared the bar.

Woods had to make a change at the break, Mark Burgess succumbing to a blow on his ankle, with Eric Gbio given his Woods’ debut as his replacement in central defence.

And the Northwood defence were tested as the Crows looked to get back in the tie, Gedling and Clarke having opportunities but their shots were wide of the mark once more.

Woods were coping with the Crowborough pressure, with Danny Power and Anthony Page doing particularly well, and the visitors were always a threat on the break with Williams going close again as he latched onto Brown’s cross from the right flank.

The Crows continued to pose questions for the Northwood defence, which was up to the task, as Swain blocked David Soutar’s shot from Andrew Ducille’s knockdown before Clarke’s shot found the side-netting.

At the other end, Oldroyd kept his side in the game with a flying save to deny Ursell.

However, Oldroyd was unable to repeat his heroics on 79 minutes when Ursell grabbed his second of the afternoon. Williams was the instigator, playing the ball through to Ursell, Oldroyd intercepting the attempted return pass, but Ursell gleefully stroked the loose ball into the empty net to confirm Woods’ passage to the next round.

PHOTO GALLERY (Click thumbnail to enlarge)


Photos: Alan Evans