Cheshunt 1  Northwood 2

14th February 2009


Mitch Swain 1
Danny Power 2
Ryan Tackley 3
Mark Burgess (Capt.) 4
Michael Peacock 5
John Christian 6
Rob Ursell 7
Anthony Page 8
Naithan Hilaire 9
Kyle Matthews 10
Hugo Figueiredo 11
- 12
Solomon Henry (9) 14
Richard Vercesi 15
Lee Holland (3) 16
Rob Pearce 17
Ryman League One North
Theobalds Lane,
Kick Off
3.00 p.m.
Page 28, Matthews 84
Ramshaw 49
Harrison, Akers, Ramshaw, Pelley
Sent Off


1 Chris Goodchild
2 Michael Pelley
3 Tom McGowen
4 Nick Thorogood
5 Ritchie Johns
6 Bradley Harrison
7 Clark Akers
8 Kai Ramshaw
9 Danny Bradford
10 Dan O'Connor
11 Lee Roberts
12 Ashley Forbes-Taylor (11)
14 Mervyn Abraham (10)
15 Jerome Boyce (7)
16 David Pieden
17 Ashley Harris




Match Report
by Robin Piper


Northwood returned to action following the series of postponements caused by the bad weather and continued their push to the play-offs with a hard fought win over the Ambers.

There was a different look to the Woods’ line-up since the home victory over Thamesmead a fortnight earlier. Kyle Matthews returned to the attack, where he was partnered by debutant Naithan Hilaire with Pa Amadou Gai unavailable. John Christian returned to a midfield which was missing Michael Gordon, whilst Ryan Tackley came in for Gary Meakin in a defence which had to make do without the suspended Bradley Hewitt, skipper Mark Burgess dropping back to partner Michael Peacock.

The playing surface was in remarkably good condition considering the recent weather, although both sides showed a certain degree of rustiness as they struggled to find their rhythm in the early stages.

Northwood were the first to threaten as Tackley’s corner almost found a way inside the near post, while at the other end Daniel O’Connor saw his shot deflected wide following a free-kick into the Woods’ box.

Openings continued to be hard to come by, although Hugo Figueiredo ran at the Cheshunt defence before shooting over, whilst Northwood ‘keeper Mitch Swain comfortably dealt with a shot from Michael Pelley.

Figueiredo and Ursell swapped flanks as Woods searched for a breakthrough, and the latter fed Anthony Page who dribbled through the Ambers defence before coolly slotting the ball past keeper Chris Goodchild for a fine solo goal on 28 minutes.

Northwood could have extended their lead minutes later when Ursell got beyond Goodchild before pulling the ball back to Matthews, who was unable to thread his shot through the covering defence.

Cheshunt hadn’t created much in attack but Swain had to be on his toes shortly before the break as he forced away Daniel Bradford’s shot on the turn following Lee Roberts’ low cross.

Woods had a great chance to add a second goal immediately after the restart but Goodchild was equal to Matthews’ near-post effort following Page’s neat through-ball.

Northwood were made to pay for their missed chances as they conceded a soft goal on 48 minutes, Kai Ramshaw making the most of a dubious free-kick award on the edge of the box to send his shot beyond a motionless Swain and into the bottom corner.

Woods’ made a change on 53 minutes as they looked to regain the advantage, with Hilaire making way for fellow debutant Soloman Henry.

Northwood continued to threaten the Ambers’ defence, Goodchild saving well from Matthews, whilst Ursell sent the rebound wide of the target.

And Goodchild was the Cheshunt saviour once more as he spread himself to deny Henry a debut goal.

Lee Holland was introduced for Tackley on 64 minutes with Danny Power switching to the left-back berth, but the action continued to be at the other end with Ursell spurning a couple of opportunities.

Northwood a suffered a scare when a rare Cheshunt attack saw substitute Ashley Taylor-Forbes strike a post with a low drive.

However, Woods’ efforts were finally rewarded as Page was impeded following Ursell’s free-kick into the box, Matthews making no mistake from the penalty-spot to regain the lead with six minutes left on the clock.

Cheshunt had a couple of opportunities to take a share of the spoils in what was a nervous finale for Northwood, substitute Mervin Abrahams lifting his shot over the bar before Pelley’s header dropped agonisingly wide of the far post.

Woods could also have added a third goal as Ursell combined well with Matthews, but the shot failed to trouble Goodchild.

But Northwood prevailed to claim their eighth league win in ten games which moves Dave Anderson’s men up to fourth in the table.


PHOTO GALLERY (Click thumbnail to enlarge) 


Anthony Page goes past three Cheshunt defenders...


Photos: Jim Tuite (Cheshunt FC)