Northwood 2  Wivenhoe Town 1

1st December 2007


Mitch Swain 1
Jazz Rose 2
Ryan Tackley 3
Simieon Howell 4
Bradley Hewitt 5
Adam Theo (Capt.) 6
Danny Hart 7
Dwane Williams 8
Adrian Abramian 9
Elliott Buchanan 10
Abdul Yoki 11
Ben Harris 12
James Fisher 14
Jerome Hall (7) 15
Dennis Fenemore 16
John Christian 17
Ryman League One North
Chestnut Avenue,
Kick Off
3.00 p.m.
Abramian 50,74
Brothers 20
Theo, Yoki
Brothers, Finch
Sent Off

Wivenhoe Town

1 Karl Daniels
2 Jack Bradshaw
3 Joe Nightingill
4 Kieran Johnston
5 Lee Townrow
6 Craig Emery
7 Jamie Eames
8 Daniel Stanley (Capt.)
9 Robert Thorne
10 Michael Brothers
11 Josh Dalziel
12 Bobby Bethell
14 Steve Bourne
15 Adam Hampson (11)
16 Danny Finch (6)
17 Terry Rymer



Match Report
by Alan Evans

The Woods finally secured a much-needed victory over bottom club Wivenhoe Town but they made it hard for
themselves, forced to come from behind to win a game for the first time this season.

The visitors, like Aveley a couple of weeks earlier, had responded to a poor start to the season by bringing in new management and a whole host of new players, and the Dragons are clearly getting better, with this being their fourth frustrating defeat by just the odd goal in succession.

With Bradley Hewitt passed fit following a fitness test, manager Colin Payne was able to name an unchanged side from that which had gone so close at AFC Wimbledon in the FA Trophy the previous Saturday, though there were new faces on the bench in the shape of John Christian, a former Wealdstone midfielder who has joined from Ruislip Manor, and goalkeeper Ben Harris who has been at Hillingdon Borough and played for them in the FA Vase Final in 2006. 

The game started in sunshine and the Woods began brightly themselves with Adrian Abramian setting up Simieon Howell for a simple chance after just two minutes but the midfielder, still looking for his first Northwood goal, shot wide of the gaping goal. A minute later, Dwane Williams fired over and then Jazz Rose got forward well to  set up Abramian whose, shot was well blocked by some desperate defending.

The pressure continued and Howell went much closer after 10 minutes when Abramian laid the ball off to him, but this time first-shot show was knocked just wide by the diving goalkeeper Karl Daniels.

As the rain and hail then began to fall, Wivenhoe began to settle, with Josh Dalziel trying his luck from distance but Mitch Swain was equal to it in the Northwood goal.

Abramian was looking the home side’s biggest threat and went close with a shot that forced a corner after a mazy dribble and block at the near post.

Yet it was the Dragons who took the lead after 20 minutes when the impressive Michael Brothers showed good skill on the edge of the box to turn, and his shot took a deflection which wrong-footed Swain and nestled in the bottom corner.

Northwood tried to respond quickly and Daniels had to show good form to deny Abramian twice in quick succession as the striker latched onto crosses from Howell and Elliott Buchanan.

Having survived that, Wivenhoe grew in confidence and Brothers had another good strike pushed over by Swain before Jamie Eames shot wide from a free-kick just outside the box.

The equaliser looked on after 39 minutes when a ball through from Ryan Tackley sent Abramian through on goal with just Daniels to beat. As the ‘keeper came out, he chipped him well enough but the ball sailed wide of the post and another chance had gone begging.

It looked like being one of those days for the Woods, and  just before the break, Jack Bradshaw got in for a neat header which Swain saved comfortably, and then Brothers flicked a header just wide from a free-kick.

Had they conceded a second at that stage, there may have been no way back for the Woods but the were able to renew their efforts in the second-half and were soon on level terms. Abramian had already had another effort blocked for a corner when he found space just outside the box to turn and shoot into the bottom corner after 50 minutes.

Though the Woods dominated from then on, the visitors showed plenty of spirit and had one good chance when Brothers flicked on to Robert Thorne who shot across the face of goal and only just wide.

But that was just a brief respite as the Woods piled on the pressure and Abdul Yoki went closest when he saw a great strike crash back off the post on 69 minutes.

Buchanan, Hart and Howell had all gone close but what proved to be the winning goal came after 74 minutes, two minutes after the introduction of Jerome Hall as substitute. He had nothing to do with it, though, as route one proved the saviour. Swain’s drop kick played Abramian through and he took it past Daniels before coolly steering the ball into the net for his second of the game.

Hall then stretched the shaky Wivenhoe defence in the closing stages, firing one into the side-netting, while Williams shot just over with five minutes remaining. Abramian should have completed what would have been a deserved hat-trick in the final minute as Tackley’s accurate ball in found him unmarked in front of goal but his first-time volley was sliced wide.


PHOTO GALLERY (Click thumbnail to enlarge)


An aerial battle in the rain!

Photos: James Brown