Maldon Town 1  Northwood 1

5th April 2008


Mitch Swain 1
Danny Brown 2
Danny Murphy (Capt.) 3
John Christian 4
Bradley Hewitt 5
Gary Edwards 6
Michael Gordon 7
Dwane Williams 8
Sean Sonner 9
Matt Baxter 10
Rodney Hicks 11
Prince Toku 12
Abdul Yoki (11) 14
Dwain Williams 15
Jerome Hall (10) 16
Lee Holland 17
Ryman League One North
Wallace Binder,
Kick Off
3.00 p.m.
Sonner pen. 23
Maldon Town
Cutchley 40
Maldon Town
Sampson, Perry
Sent Off
Maldon Town

Maldon Town

1 Darren Gould
2 Alan Sampson
3 Matt Cutchley
4 Glen Revell
5 Ollie Blackwell
6 Frank Everitt
7 Ross Parmenter
8 Lee Perry
9 James Robinson
10 Kevi  Hawes
11 Jamie Ricks
12 Kaan Hawes
14 Dean Parratt
15 Craig Emery (2)
16 Adam Holmes
17 Nav Arain



Match Report
by Robin Piper


Northwood had to settle for a share of the points in a keenly contested affair at the Wallace Binder Ground.

Injury to Ryan Tackley afforded Gary Edwards a first league start, and he enjoyed a steady game at centre-back. Matt Baxter regained his place in attack at the expense of Jerome Hall whilst Rodney Hicks was preferred to Abdul Yoki on the left flank.

Woods started in a positive vein and it wasn’t long before Maldon ‘keeper Darren Gould was called into action, clawing away an in-swinging corner from Danny Murphy, before producing a smart save to deny Michael Gordon after he was sent clear by Dwane Williams.

Northwood thought they had gained the reward for their bright start on 17 minutes but were denied by the offside flag as Hicks found the net following Murphy’s free-kick into the box.

However, Woods were not to be denied and they deservedly took the lead after 23 minutes, Sean Sonner converting from the penalty spot after Glen Revell was adjudged to have handled Bradley Hewitt’s knockdown following another Murphy free-kick.

And Sonner had a great chance to extend Northwood’s lead minutes later as he was played in by Baxter but he lifted his shot wide of the far post.

Woods were enjoying the majority of the play and Gould was tested once again as he gathered a shot from Hicks following a strong run from midfield.

But the hosts were beginning to show signs of a revival, Kevin Hawes going close with a couple of efforts.

And Maldon managed to restore the balance five minutes before the break following a quickly-taken free-kick in the middle of the park, James Robinson getting to the by-line before crossing to Matthew Cutchey, who applied a simple finish from close-range.

There were further chances at both ends at the end of an entertaining half, Lee Perry shooting into the arms of Woods’ keeper Mitch Swain, whilst Gordon blazed his shot over the Maldon bar after good work from Hicks.

With the stiffening breeze now in their faces, Northwood had a lot of defending to do in the second-half.

Jamie Ricks had a couple of early opportunities whilst Ollie Blackwell and Hawes went close with headed efforts.

Woods made a change on 66 minutes, Hicks making way for Yoki and the latter created an opening for Gordon whose shot was deflected towards goal by Sonner, Gould making the save.

Hall replaced Baxter in attack for the final fifteen minutes, and the substitute combined well with Sonner whose pull-back found John Christian in a good position but his shot was blocked by Blackwell.

Woods had to defend a number of dead-ball situations in the closing minutes with a series of pin-point deliveries from James Robinson, but the Northwood defence was up to the test.

Having soaked up the Maldon pressure, Woods almost delivered the sucker-punch with a quick breakaway from Gordon but Sonner saw his shot blocked, and the draw was a fair reflection of the afternoon’s proceedings.


PHOTO GALLERY (Click thumbnail to enlarge)


Michael Gordon in a tussle

Photos: James Brown