Great Wakering Rovers 2  Northwood 3

8th January 2008


Mitch Swain 1
Lee Holland 2
John Fisher 3
John Christian 4
Bradley Hewitt 5
Adam Theo (Capt.) 6
Michael Gordon 7
Dwain Williams 8
Adrian Abramian 9
Elliott Buchanan 10
Abdul Yoki 11
Ben Harris 12
Jerome Hall (9) 14
Liam O'Keefe (6) 15
Scott Purdue 16
Aryan Taj 17
Ryman One North
Boroughs Park,
Great Wakering
Kick Off
7.45 p.m.
Buchanan 38, 45, 61
Great Wakering
Foy 14, Tuohy 74
Great Wakering
Sent Off
Great Wakering

Great Wakering Rovers

1 Louis Green
2 Danny Pitts
3 Keith Wilson
4 Nikki Beale
5 Elliott Gresham
6 James White
7 Mark Cartiledge
8 Sam Clarke
9 Martin Tuohy
10 James Foy
11 Lloyd Anthony
12 Kevin Cole
14 Dean Pearson
15 Bradley Smart
16 George Lay (7)
17 Iain O’Connell (11)



Match Report
by Robin Piper


Northwood’s midweek trip to the Essex coast was a fruitful one as they came from behind to take the points at Great Wakering.

Having fallen behind to an early goal, an Elliott Buchanan hat-trick transformed the game to give Woods their second league win of the season away from Chestnut Avenue.

Injuries meant a couple of changes to the Northwood line-up. Abdul Yoki replaced Danny Murphy on the left flank whilst Lee Holland returned to the defence in place of Jazz Rose, James Fisher moving to left-back.

Great Wakering immediately forced Woods onto the back-foot with their direct approach. James Foy misdirected a free-header before Mitch Swain made his first save of the evening as he dealt with James White’s low shot.

Having survived the early pressure, Woods began to find their feet, the lively Michael Gordon creating an opening for Buchanan but his shot was comfortably saved by ‘keeper Louis Green.

But Woods recent vulnerability to the set-piece was exposed once again as they fell behind on 14 minutes, Foy converting from close-range after James White had flicked on Sam Clarke’s corner.

And Northwood went close to conceding a second following a long throw, Nikki Beale shooting narrowly wide.

However, at the other end, John Christian’s snap-shot flew narrowly over the host’s crossbar.

And Christian had a hand in Northwood’s equaliser on 38 minutes as he combined well with the impressive Dwain Williams, Buchanan applying the finish as he beat Green with a right-footed shot into the far corner of the net.

Woods continued to take the game to Rovers and Green had to be at full stretch to deal with Adrian Abramian’s attempted lob.

And the home crowd was stunned into silence as Northwood took the lead in the final minute of the half following another sweeping move, the ball being played to Buchanan on the edge of the box, his delightful, left-footed shot curling into the top corner.

The hosts threatened immediately after the half-time break, Swain alert to Foy’s shot before the Woods’ goal-keeper produced a fine save to tip Keith Wilson’s free-kick over the crossbar.

However, Northwood continued to look dangerous on the break, Abdul Yoki forcing Green into a save.

But Green was helpless to prevent Buchanan completing his second hat-trick of the season on 61 minutes. Williams was the catalyst when he threaded the ball through to Buchanan who deftly lifted the ball over the on-rushing Green to extend Woods’ lead.

Northwood were coping comfortably with the Great Wakering’s attempts to get back into the game. However, the hosts were given a glimmer of hope in the 74th minute as a uncharacteristic misjudgement from Adam Theo presented Martin Tuohy with a simple tap in following Danny Pitts’ free-kick into the box.

Great Wakering were lifted by their good fortune and they proceeded to lay siege to the Northwood goal as they looked for an equaliser.

But the Woods’ brave rearguard stood firm despite a couple of scares.

Liam O’Keefe and Jerome Hall were introduced for Theo and Abramian for the final minutes, and Hall went close to extending the lead in stoppage time. Firstly a rasping drive shaved the post before Green came out on top in a one on one situation.

And there was still time for Hall to send a shot into the side-netting and for Rovers’ Player-Manager Iain O’Connell squander a chance for his side in a frantic finale, but Northwood deservedly claimed the points and extended their unbeaten run to seven games.