Yate Town 1  Northwood 0

31st March 2007


Mikhael Jaimez-Ruiz
Terry Hogan 2
Ryan Tackley 3
Bradley Hewitt 4
Perry Norman 5
Wayne Carter 6
Dwane Williams 7
Joe Sparrowhawk 8
Harry Hunt 9
Peter Dean 10
Jerome Hall 11
Bill Fishenden 12
Elliott Buchanan 14
Sean O'Keefe 15
Danny Julienne (8) 16
Nick Pearce 17
British Gas Business Southern League Premier Division
Lodge Road,
Kick Off
3.00 p.m.
Yate Town
Reid 70
Carter, Sparrowhawk, Julienne
Yate Town
Sent Off
Yate Town

Yate Town

1 Sam Pearce
2 Scott Brice
3 Dave Elsey
4 Steve Jenkins
5 Lee Jefferies
6 Adam Sims
7 Aaron Blakemore
8 Paul Chenoweth
9 Jake Reid
10 Ashley Williams
11 Danny Maye
12 Dave Anyinsah (5)
14 Justin Pritchard
15 Ryan Havard (7)
16 Paul Metheringham (11)
17 Lee Bridson



Match Report
by Robin Piper

Northwood journeyed west for the second time in five days, but they were unable to repeat their midweek success in South Wales, as they succumbed to Bristol outfit Yate Town by the single goal.

There was one change to the starting line-up following the win at Merthyr, Bill Fishenden making way for Mikhael Jaimez-Ruiz in the Woods’ goal.

Northwood started well despite a stiff breeze, which made things tricky for both sides. After Jaimez-Ruiz had dealt comfortably with an Aaron Blakemore shot in the opening minute, Woods created a couple of openings: Jerome Hall saw his shot blocked after cutting into the box, before Peter Dean sent in a low cross which just evaded the waiting Dwane Williams.

Yate were beginning to look dangerous with a series of attacks. Blakemore was in the thick of things, going close with a lob that just cleared the cross-bar before he had an effort ruled out for offside as he converted the rebound after Jaimez-Ruiz had saved Jake Reid’s initial shot.

And it was the lively Blakemore who reacted quickest again after Adam Sims’ shot had struck the post, but the former was off target with the follow up shot.

At the other end, Harry Hunt was looking to continue his recent goal-scoring form and he wasn’t far away with a shot on the turn after the hosts had failed to clear a Ryan Tackley corner.

Northwood were more than holding their own, and they went close to opening the scoring through a Wayne Carter free-kick from just outside the box, Yate ‘keeper Sam Pearce tipping the Woods’ skipper’s effort over the bar.

Yate finished the half strongly but they continued to be let down by their finishing, Blakemore’s  profligate afternoon continuing as he twice shot wide from good positions whilst Sims tried his luck from distance.

However, Northwood were just as ineffective in front of goal, Dean dragging his shot across the face of the goal after being played in by Williams following a quickly taken free-kick.

The hosts were quickly on the attack after the break, Jake Reid shooting wide with only Jaimez-Ruiz to beat after a quick break, whilst Blakemore shot wide of the far post after Reid’s through-ball.

Manager Colin Payne made a change on the hour mark, the competitive Joe Sparrowhawk, who had enjoyed a good game in the Woods’ midfield, making way for Danny Julienne following his recovery from a broken nose.

And moments later Northwood had their best chance of the afternoon, Hall winning the ball by the corner flag and picking out Dean on the six yard box, but his weak shot failed to test Pearce in the home goal.

One sensed it was going to be an afternoon of missed chances, but the deadlock was finally broken in the 71st minute. Substitute Dave Anyinsah found space down the right flank before sending over an exquisite cross, which was powerfully headed home by Reid at the far-post to give Yate the lead.

Woods were growing increasingly anxious, Julienne joining Sparrowhawk and Carter in the referee’s notebook following a  rash challenge.

However, as the game moved into the closing stages, Northwood had further chances to retrieve a precious point. Dean got beyond ‘keeper Pearce but was unable to get his shot in on an unguarded goal, whilst in the final minute, Hall didn’t get enough power on his close-range header after good work from Dean, and Pearce claimed the ball at the second attempt.

And so the curtain came down on a frustrating afternoon for Northwood, who lacked the cutting edge to break down a resolute home defence.


PHOTO GALLERY (Click thumbnail to enlarge)


Harry Hunt awaits the corner

Photos: James Brown