Northwood 0  Winchester City 0

4th November 2006


Liam Watson
Lee Holland 2
Danny Murphy 3
Yiadom Yeboah 4
Perry Norman 5
Wayne Carter 6
Mark Nicholls 7
Dwane Williams 8
Dave Warner 9
Peter Dean 10
Mark Dennison 11
Rob Bullivant 12
Elliott Buchanan 14
Danny Julienne (8) 15
Bradley Hewitt 16
Harry Hunt (9) 17
F.A. Carlsberg Trophy Second Qualifying Round
Chestnut Avenue,
Kick Off
3.00 p.m.
Smith, Mancey
Sent Off

Winchester City

1 David Hook
2 Danny Wakefield
3 Pete Smith
4 Mark Jones
5 Sean Thurgood
6 Melvin Rogers
7 Lloyd Webber
8 Neil Campion
9 Ian Mancey
10 Mark Gamble
11 James Davis
12 Chris Flood (10)
14 Tom Vavrecka (3)
15 Stewart Lang (6)
16 Mark Zawadski



Match Report
by Alan Evans

Winchester goalkeeper Dave Hook was no stranger to the Middlesex area, having enjoyed previous spells at Hendon, Hampton, and Harrow Borough in the past. He certainly felt at home on Saturday, becoming the City hero as a string of excellent saves earned his side a replay in this FA Carlsberg Trophy tie.

Both sides were missing key strikers, with Northwood's Lee Tunnell serving the last game of a three-match suspension, while Winchester had Jamie Musslewhite ruled out with injury. In addition to this, joint top scorer Dean Clark was also left out after he was forced off with a back injury in midweek, so the Woods started with a front two who are yet to score a goal all season. There was good news, though, as both wing-backs Lee Holland and Danny Murphy had recovered from injuries that had seen them substituted at Halesowen the previous Saturday.

It meant the new attacking formation could be maintained, and the Woods started really brightly.

After just five minutes David Warner found space on the edge of the box for a shot which lacked the power to beat Hook, and two minutes later Murphy was just inches away from adding the vital touch to a Mark Nicholls cross. Nicholls went close himself a minute later with a volley from the edge of the area which saw Hook pull off the first of a series of fine saves, and on 10 minutes Warner struck a much stronger shot which Hook flew across goal to push wide.

The pressure continued and after 24 minutes Hook made another diving stop from a Murphy drive, this time with his chest. The ball ran loose and Yiadom Yeboah appeared to be upended by the City 'keeper as he poked a shot past him, but his effort was cleared and penalty appeals were waved away.

Winchester finally settled towards the end of the first-half, and Ian Mancey had their first effort on target as his crisp strike was touched over by Northwood 'keeper Liam Watson. From the corner, Mark Jones climbed high for a free header but steered it wide of the target.

The hard-working Lloyd Webber also went close for the visitors, shrugging off the challenge of Dwane Williams, and firing a shot which was only just wide.

After 37 minutes it was Northwood's turn to go close again, as good work from Nicholls saw him slip the ball through to Warner. He chose to lay a pass to Peter Dean, whose left-foot shot curled just wide of the far post.

The second half began in similar fashion with Murphy heading a deep cross back across goal, Nicholls heading it goalwards and Hook stretching himself fully to push it round the post.

After 52 minutes Nicholls broke through a square defence and played in Danny Julienne, on as a substitute for Williams. He slipped the ball inside to Holland, whose low shot was again well saved by Hook.

On the hour the impressive Holland was the instigator of another attack, cutting a cross back into the path of Nicholls, who was frustrated to see another goal-bound effort kept out by the legs of the diving Hook.

Barnet youngster Harry Hunt came on for his Northwood debut after 62 minutes for the tiring Warner, and within three minutes Winchester, on a rare attack, missed the best chance of the game. Webber broke down the right and bided his time before picking out James Davis at the far post. Somehow the youngster got his feet tangled up and only succeeded in steering the ball the wrong side of the post.

Back came Northwood again. After one of his long throws had been cleared, Yiadom Yeboah fired in a cross which led to Murphy having two strikes from close-range, but both times Hook somehow managed to get his body in the way. Four minutes later Yeboah showed the strikers how to do it with a mazy dribble which saw him get past two defenders, before sliding the ball through to Dean. Again his shot arrowed like a magnet into the diving figure of Hook.

Hunt showed some extra pace with ten minutes remaining, beating his man on the left, and when his cross dropped to Dean on the edge of the box he hit a firm strike which flew just over the bar.

In the closing stages it was Winchester who almost stole the victory as the impressive Webber burst forward and hit a great strike which Watson tipped just over the bar.

That was the last action of the game as the whistle blew to signal that the two sides would have to do it all again at Winchester on Tuesday night.  


PHOTO GALLERY (Click thumbnail to enlarge)


Dwane Williams shields the ball


Photos: Paul Evans