Northwood 1  Wealdstone 2

29th August 2006


Rob Bullivant
Dave Nolan 2
Ricky Alexander 3
Mark Dennison 4
Perry Norman 5
Wayne Carter 6
Dean Powles 7
Dean Clark 8
Lee Tunnell 9
Peter Dean 10
Gavin Hart 11
James Shipperley 12
James Hamsher (11) 14
Max Howell (16) 15
Kyle Matthews (2) 16
Daniel Hawes 17
British Gas Business Southern League Premier Division
Chestnut Avenue,
Kick Off
7.30 p.m.
Tunnell 56
Martin 46, Montgomery 75
Tunnell, Dean, Norman, Dennison
G. Bamford, O'Leary
Sent Off


1 Lee Carroll
2 Lee Holland
3 Fergus Moore
4 Kevin Swift
5 Stuart Bamford
6 Gavin Bamford
7 Carl Martin
8 Chris O'Leary
9 Dean Papali
10 Matt Gooderick
11 Graeme Montgomery
12 John Christian (7)
14 Dave Lawrence (9)
15 Stuart Goodall (6)
16 Billy Sentence
17 Chris Zoricich



Match Report
by Robin Piper

Tenant overcame landlord as Wealdstone inflicted the first defeat of the season upon 10-man Northwood.

Woods shot themselves in the foot immediately after they had restored parity early in the second-half, Dean Clark incurring the wrath of the referee and receiving a second yellow card after kicking the ball away in celebration.

Northwood were once again unchanged as they sought to extend their unbeaten start to the season, the only alteration being on the bench, where Daniel Hawes replaced Danny Murphy.

But it was Stones who made the brighter start , Chris O’Leary testing Woods ‘keeper Rob Bullivant with a low shot, before a slick move almost found former Northwood striker Dean Papali who was unmarked at the far post.

Wealdstone continued to dominate the opening exchanges with Woods unable to construct any worthwhile moves. Wealdstone forced a series of corners, Gavin Bamford seeing a free header cleared off the line by Gavin Hart, whilst Bullivant was called upon to deal with a 30-yard effort from Carl Martin.

Northwood finally managed to threaten the Wealdstone goal following a fairly nondescript opening 20 minutes, Dean Powles’ shot rolling across the face of goal and narrowly evading the in-rushing Peter Dean.

But normal service was resumed as Stones were soon on the attack once again. Bullivant was called into action again to deny Papali, whilst Matt Gooderick missed a wonderful chance to put Wealdstone in front, dragging his shot wide of the far post after a deflection had fallen nicely into his path.

However, Woods gradually began to find some rhythm as half-time beckoned, with Clark testing the Wealdstone defence with a couple of free-kicks into the danger area. Perry Norman and Mark Dennison were inches away from adding a final touch, whilst former Woods’ keeper Lee Carroll fisted Dennison’s header away following another Clark delivery. The resultant corner saw Norman scoop a shot narrowly over the bar after Wealdstone failed to clear their lines.

There were further chances at either end before the break, Bullivant on hand once again to deny Gooderick, whilst Dean was unable to keep his shot down following Clark’s knockdown from Ricky Alexander’s ball into the box.

The deadlock was finally broken within a minute of the restart. Papali showed good strength as he got in behind the Northwood defence, his low cross finding the unmarked Carl Martin, who made no mistake to give Wealdstone a 46th minute lead.

Manager Colin Payne immediately made a double substitution, sending on James Hamsher and striker Kyle Matthews in place of Hart and Dave Nolan, Powles switching to right back with Dean moving to the right flank.

And the changes had the desired effect as Northwood drew level on 56 minutes. Carroll’s punched clearance from Clark’s corner fell to Lee Tunnell on the edge of the box, his unerring shot through a crowd of players giving the Stones ‘keeper no chance. However, Woods’ joy was immediately curtailed as Clark’s celebrations ended up with a red card.

And Gooderick almost made matters worse for Northwood as he rattled an upright with a fierce shot.

Woods lost Matthews to an ankle injury in the 65th minute, substitute Max Howell moving into a three man defence as Northwood reshuffled the pack again.

However, after Northwood had bravely taken the game to Wealdstone, their numerical disadvantage was finally made to count with 15 minutes left on the clock, Graeme Montgomery delivering an emphatic finish into the bottom corner to score the deciding goal.

Woods soldiered on, Wayne Carter having a low shot deflected wide before Powles almost grabbed a spectacular equaliser with a 30-yard volley which bounced off the top off the top of the crossbar.

But it wasn’t to be as Wealdstone claimed the points and the local bragging rights, leaving Northwood fifth in the table as they contemplated another journey west with a visit to Chippenham Town on Saturday.