Merthyr Tydfil 0  Northwood 2

27th March 2007


Bill Fishenden
Terry Hogan 2
Ryan Tackley 3
Perry Norman 4
Bradley Hewitt 5
Wayne Carter 6
Dwane Williams 7
Joe Sparrowhawk 8
Harry Hunt 9
Peter Dean 10
Jerome Hall 11
James Shipperley 12
Nick Pearce 14
- 15
- 16
- 17
British Gas Business Southern League Premier Division
Penydarren Park,
Merthyr Tydfil
Kick Off
7.45 p.m.
Hunt 7, 58
Merthyr Tydfil
Merthyr Tydfil
Sent Off
Merthyr Tydfil

Merthyr Tydfil

1 Ashley Morris
2 Darren Davies
3 Jamie Rewbury
4 Gareth Wharton
5 Chris Collins
6 Steve Williams
7 Gareth Phillips
8 Chris Holloway
9 Neil Smothers
10 Craig Stiens
11 Craig Moses
12 Tony Bird (5)
14 Rhys Carpenter (11)
15 Craig Lima (10)
16 Jon Kift
17 Chris James



Match Report
by Robin Piper

Northwood made it three wins in four games as they ensured the long midweek trip to Wales was a successful one.

With Colin Payne’s squad down to the bare bones, the boys in red turned in a fantastic performance to record a second successive win at Penydarren  Park.

Perry Norman returned to the centre of defence with Ryan Tackley moving to left- back in the absence of Danny Murphy, whilst James Sparrowhawk came into the midfield, and Jerome Hall starting on the left with Elliott Buchanan unfit to travel. There was also a change in goal as Bill Fishenden returned to ‘keeping duties as Mikhael Jaimez-Ruiz was unavailable.

Woods were quickly into their stride and they made the perfect start as they took a 7th minute lead after a quick break, Dwane Williams finding Hall who played a neat through-ball to Harry Hunt who finished with aplomb.

Northwood were buoyed by the goal and they nearly added a second as Peter Dean flashed a shot across the face of goal after good work from Hunt.

The Martyrs looked to get back on level terms, Gareth Wharton seeing a close range header blocked before the impressive Fishenden turned away a Steve Williams shot.

At the other end, Woods might have been awarded a penalty after Hall appeared to be bundled over by a posse of home defenders.

And the lively Hall was in the thick of the action once again as he found room in the box before squaring the ball which somehow evaded Hunt and Sparrowhawk in the six-yard box.

Hall was continuing to cause problems for the home defence, another jinking run ending with a shot from 20 yards which flew narrowly wide of the upright.

However, Merthyr had their moments, and Fishenden was on hand once again to deal with a Darren Davies effort.

The Martyrs came out strongly after the half-time break, putting Northwood under a spell of pressure. Fishenden pulled off a superb save to claw out a Wharton header, whilst Williams and Craig Stiens went close.

But the pressure was relieved when Woods extended their lead in the 58th minute after they were awarded a penalty for a Wharton challenge on Dean. Hunt expertly dispatched the spot-kick for his second goal of the evening and his fourth league goal in as many games.

And Hunt almost completed his hat-trick moments later as he ran clear of the Martyrs’ defence, ‘keeper Ashley Morris pulling off a smart near post save.

Merthyr were stepping up the pressure on the Woods with a succession of balls into the box, but the defence was standing firm, with the central pairing of Norman and Bradley Hewitt doing some sterling work.

The hosts went close but Chris Holloway and Stiens were off target with headers, whilst the former tried his luck with a long range effort.

Having soaked up the pressure, Northwood had a great chance to make the points safe, but Hall was unable to get enough purchase on his header after Tackley’s free-kick into the box.

The Martyrs used their full quota of substitutes in a forlorn attempt to get back into the game, and Fishenden frustrated the hosts once again when he tipped Nick Smothers’ shot onto the bar.

But Merthyr were rapidly running out of ideas, and it was Woods who almost grabbed a third on the break, when Carter’s far-post ball just evaded the outstretched leg of Peter Dean.

Northwood, though, stood firm to deservedly take the three points, keeping a clean sheet for the second successive away game and with other results going in their favour, keeping alive their hopes of avoiding the drop.