Northwood 1  Kings Lynn 2

5th February 2007


Mikhail Jaimil-Ruiz
Lee Holland 2
Danny Murphy 3
Bradley Hewitt 4
Perry Norman 5
Joe Sparrowhawk 6
Damon Ming 7
Danny Julienne 8
Jerome Hall 9
Peter Dean 10
Elliott Buchanan 11
Bill Fishenden 12
Terry Hogan (5) 14
Dave Sexton 15
Harry Hunt (11) 16
Terry Hogan 17
British Gas Business Southern League Premier Division
Chestnut Avenue,
Kick Off
7.45 p.m.
Hall 6
Kings Lynn
Melton 58, O'Halloran 62
Kings Lynn
Sent Off
Kings Lynn

Kings Lynn

1 Paul Crichton
2 Dean West
3 Louis Blois
4 Mark Warren
5 Greg Crane
6 Andrew Fisk
7 Matt O’Halloran
8 Steve Melton
9 Jack Defty
10 Alex Notman
11 Fraser Toms
12 Grant Cooper
14 Michael Frew
15 Sam McMahon (11)
16 Mark Camm (7)
17 Duncan McAnally



Match Report
by Robin Piper

For the second time in three days, Northwood put in a brave performance but they were unfortunate to lose to promotion hopefuls King’s Lynn, who came from behind to take the points.

The Woods’ line-up was affected once again by injury and unavailability. Lee Holland replaced Dave Nolan at right back, whilst there was no Wayne Carter in midfield, Elliot Buchanan returning to the side on the left flank, with Joe Sparrowhawk and Danny Julienne forming a new partnership in central midfield.

And Northwood enjoyed the perfect start as they opened the scoring in the sixth minute through Jerome Hall. Peter Dean was the provider as he picked out Hall on the edge of the box, and his first time shot was too good for Paul Crichton in the Linnets goal.

The visitors looked for an immediate reply but Woods’ ‘keeper Jaimez-Ruiz was on hand to foil a shot from Matt O’Halloran.

Northwood were playing with confidence, moving the ball around well and they soon created another chance, Dean testing Crichton with a half-volley on the angle.

However, King’s Lynn gradually began to put Woods under a sustained spell of pressure, Alex Notman twice going close.

And Woods’ young defence suffered a major blow when the experienced Perry Norman departed with an ankle injury, Terry Hogan his replacement, making the defence a teenager only zone. In fact Julienne remained the oldest player in a Northwood shirt at the ripe old age of 25!

However, the Woods defence once again belied their tender years with mature performances throughout, Hogan and Hewitt looking very composed in central defence.

And the rearguard was certainly put under the cosh as Jack Defty and Greg Crane went close with headers.

But it wasn’t all King’s Lynn, as Northwood broke out sufficiently to ask questions of their own, Hall almost creating a chance for himself with a mazy run, Ming causing Crichton to clear over his own cross-bar, whilst Buchanan tested the Linnet’s stopper with a 25-yard drive.

Northwood were quickly into their stride after the break, Ming’s cross almost finding the head of Hall, who was denied by the advancing Crichton.

However, the game was transformed as Northwood conceded two goals in a five minute spell around the hour mark.

Steve Melton was the first to strike in the 58th minute, sweeping the ball home after Notman provided a far post knock-down.

O’Halloran was the next to strike on 62 minutes, courtesy of the penalty spot after Hewitt had upended substitute Sam McMahon, who was a replacement for ex-Wood Fraser Toms.

Elliott Buchanan was withdrawn after 66 minutes, Harry Hunt partnering Hall in attack whilst Dean dropped onto the right flank with Ming on the left.

However, the Linnets were looking increasingly dangerous, Notman testing Jimez-Ruiz before the Woods’ ‘keeper pulled off a stunning save to deny McMahon, whilst Greg Crane headed narrowly over the bar.

But Northwood continued to hold their own, Julienne testing Crichton in the visitors goal whilst Dean fired a shot into the side-netting.

However, despite a late rally, Northwood were unable to restore the parity that their hard-working performance deserved.

Nonetheless, the young Woods side can take great confidence from a display against a side that fully expects to be in the promotion frame come the end of the season.