Northwood 2  Hitchin Town 0 

12th March 2007


Mikhael Jaimez-Ruiz
Lee Holland 2
Danny Murphy 3
Terry Hogan 4
James Shipperley 5
Wayne Carter 6
Dwane Williams 7
Elliott Buchanan 8
Harry Hunt 9
Peter Dean 10
Damon Ming 11
Joe Sparrowhawk (6) 14
Bradley Hewitt 15
Jerome Hall (9) 16
David Warner 17
Nick Pearce (2) 18
British Gas Business Southern League Premier Division
Chestnut Avenue,
Kick Off
7.30 p.m.
Hunt 17, Williams 48
Hitchin Town
Hitchin Town
Sent Off
Hitchin Town

Hitchin Town

1 Rob Beckwith
2 Matt Childs
3 Mark Ducket
4 Ryan Frater
5 Scott Cretton
6 David Deeney
7 Carl Williams
8 Martin Standen
9 Ryan Charles
10 Gavin Jaggard
11 Daniel French
12 Liam Folds
14 Lance Gentle-King
15 Adam Scanlon
16 Glen Lamacraft (5)
17 Michael Parkin



Match Report
by Robin Piper

Northwood’s recent improvement continued as Colin Payne’s youngsters produced one of their best performances of the season to comfortably overcome one-time promotion hopefuls Hitchin Town.

Harry Hunt was preferred to Jerome Hall in attack, whilst Terry Hogan resumed his central defensive partnership with James Shipperley as Woods looked to build on the encouraging weekend performance at Kings Lynn.

And Northwood gave an early indication of their resolve as they created a couple of early opportunities, the lively Damon Ming being not far away with a low 25-yard drive, whilst Peter Dean tested visiting ‘keeper Rob Beckwith with a snapshot from the edge of the box.

Northwood continued to dominate proceedings as they tested the Canaries with their pace and movement, Shipperley going close after the Canaries failed to clear a Ming free-kick into the box.

And Woods were rewarded for their endeavours as they took the lead on 17 minutes. Ming was the catalyst as he provided a neat through-ball for Hunt, who ran clear of the Hitchin defence before coolly slotting the ball beyond the advancing Beckwith to register his first Northwood League goal.

Woods continued to threaten the visitors’ goal, Hunt almost capping a jinking run with a goal but his shot was blocked before Beckwith clawed away Ming’s follow-up header.

However, Hitchin gradually awoke from their slumber and began to put the home defence under a spell of pressure, Daniel French off target with a couple of  efforts whilst Ryan Charles was unable keep down his shot on the turn.

The Canaries were finishing the half well, and Jaimez-Ruiz was forced into his first serious action of the evening when he produced a finger-tip save to deflect Martin Standen’s header over the crossbar.

As the game moved into the final minute of the first period, Northwood lost the services of the injured Lee Holland, 17 year old Nick Pearce replacing him at right-back.

And Woods enjoyed the perfect start to the second-half as they extended their lead on 48 minutes. Danny Murphy created the opening, his ball in finding Dwane Williams, who swivelled before shooting beyond Beckwith who got a hand on the shot but was unable to stop the ball crossing the line.

Northwood’s confidence was visibly soaring and they should have added further goals as they created a succession of chances. Ming was denied by a double save from the impressive Beckwith, whilst Hunt found himself with only the ‘keeper to beat but was off target with his attempted lob.

At the other end, Hitchin were asking their own questions of a Woods defence which was being well marshalled by Messrs Shipperley and Hogan, a flicked shot from Carl Williams and a shot across the face of goal from Standen causing concern for the hosts.

However, Northwood stood firm, creating a base for further forays into the Canaries’ half. Hunt had another chance to add to his account, his shot lacking power after he was expertly picked out by Elliot Buchanan’s far post cross. And Ming was presented with an open goal with Beckwith out of position, but his goal-bound shot being cleared by the visitors’ defence.

In Hitchin’s last move of note, Hogan was on hand to make a last ditch tackle to prevent Gavin Jaggard from reducing the arrears before the ball fell to French who was unable to keep his shot down.

Hall was introduced for Hunt for the final seven minutes and Woods continued to squander chances to make the game safe, Beckwith saving from Williams, whilst Peter Dean was off-target with his shot.

However, after Joe Sparrowhawk replaced skipper Wayne Carter for the closing minutes, the whistle sounded on a thoroughly deserved victory which puts Woods in good spirits for the long trek down to Devon this coming Saturday.