Northwood 0  Cirencester Town 2

4th September 2006


Rob Bullivant
James Hamsher 2
Ricky Alexander 3
Mark Dennison 4
Perry Norman 5
Wayne Carter 6
Dean Powles 7
Dean Clark 8
Lee Tunnell 9
Peter Dean 10
Gavin Hart 11
Daniel Hawes 12
Leon Callendar (3) 14
Max Howell 15
Elliott Buchanan (2) 16
Danny Murphy (8) 17
British Gas Business Southern League Premier Division
Chestnut Avenue,
Kick Off
7.30 p.m.
Richards 50, Griffin 80
Sent Off

Cirencester Town

1 Kevin Sawyer
2 Lee Smith
3 Shaun Dyke
4 Rene Regis
5 Matt Jones
6 Lee Molyneaux
7 Marc Richards
8 Michael Jackson
9 Mike Symons
10 Steve Cowe
11 Matt Smith
12 Scott Griffin (8)
14 Ian McSherry (9)
15 Steve Leigh (14)
16 -
17 Alex Hards



Match Report
by Robin Piper

The euphoria of Northwood’s excellent start to the season now seems a distant memory after they suffered their third defeat in a row to a Cirencester team who recovered from a weekend mauling at King’s Lynn to record their first win of the season.

Woods manager Colin Payne would have been hoping for a positive response from his players following the poor showing at Chippenham, but he was left disappointed by an under-par performance in which his charges failed to register one shot on target during a tedious first half.

With injuries still hampering the Northwood squad, there was only one change to the starting line-up, with James Hamsher making his first start on the left flank, Gavin Hart moving into the right-back berth vacated by Dave Nolan.

However, an early move suggested better things from Northwood as Dean Powles threaded a ball through to Lee Tunnell, but the Woods striker was crowded out by the visiting defence.

The early optimism gradually evaporated as Cirencester enjoyed the better possession, but they were restricted to long range efforts from Rene Regis and Steve Cowe which failed to trouble Rob Bullivant in the home goal.

Cirencester might have done better on 25 minutes when a cross found Lee Molyneaux unmarked at the back post, his shot clearing the crossbar.

Northwood were struggling to enjoy any quality possession, though in a rare moment of cohesion, Dean Clark had his shot charged down following a neat exchange of passes.

At the other end, Cirencester substitute Scott Griffin, on for the injured Michael Jackson, sent in a cross-shot which found its way to Mike Symons whose close-range effort was scrambled clear by Hart.

The visitors were growing increasingly confident, Perry Norman having to avert the danger with a headed interception, whilst Griffin tried his luck from distance.

Northwood eventually began to offer a threat, Dean almost finding the in-rushing Powles with a clever ball, while Wayne Carter was unable to keep his header down following Clark’s free-kick into the box. And it was Clark again who found Dean in space, his near post shot flying inches wide of an upright

However, the visitors continued to provide a threat to Northwood with Mark Dennison clearing Griffin’s free-header off the line.

Woods made a change in the interval, Elliott Buchanan replacing the ineffective James Hamsher on the left flank. And the Northwood substitute almost made an instant impact as his low shot whistled past the far upright.

But the dead-lock was finally broken on 50 minutes, Marc Richards powering his header beyond Bullivant following Shaun Dyke’s cross, to give Cirencester the lead.

The goal appeared to galvanise Northwood, Buchanan going close once again with a curling effort, whilst Dean got on the end of Ricky Alexander’s cross but his header fell into the arms of visiting keeper Kevin Sawyer.

Northwood went on the offensive by adding Leon Callendar to the attack, Alexander making way, and they went on to enjoy their best spell of the game with Clark getting into some useful positions. The Woods’ midfielder had a couple of shots charged down, while also heading straight at Sawyer from Wayne Carter’s hanging cross.

At the other end, Bullivant palmed a ball straight into the path of a startled Griffin, the Northwood keeper recovering well to turn the shot round the post.

There continued to be chances at either end, Powles going closest for Woods following a slick move involving a number of players.

However, Northwood’s threatened recovery failed to materialise as Cirencester capitalised on slack marking to add a second goal. Dyke found space down the left flank, his accurate cross finding the unmarked Griffin who headed powerfully beyond Bullivant to complete the scoring on 80 minutes.

Danny Murphy replaced Clark for the closing minutes, a sure sign that Northwood had accepted their fate. And Woods were indebted to Bullivant who saved his team from further embarrassment with a couple of saves to deny Griffin a second at the end of a desperately  disappointing evening for Northwood.