Chippenham Town 5  Northwood 1

2nd September 2006


Rob Bullivant
Dave Nolan 2
Ricky Alexander 3
Mark Dennison 4
Perry Norman 5
Wayne Carter 6
Dean Powles 7
Dean Clark 8
Lee Tunnell 9
Peter Dean 10
Gavin Hart 11
Elliott Buchanan (10) 12
James Hamsher (2) 14
Leon Callendar (8) 15
Danny Murphy 16
Max Howell 17
British Gas Business Southern League Premier Division
Hardenhuish Park,
Kick Off
3.00 p.m.
Tunnell 81
Maye 19, Garner 48, Griffin 57, Gilroy 67, Allison 85
Clark, Dennison
Sent Off

Chippenham Town

1 Steve Perrin
2 Andy Robertson
3 Alex Stanley
4 Ross Adams
5 Adam Garner
6 Mark Badman
7 Kye Holly
8 Ian Herring
9 David Gilroy
10 Alan Griffin
11 Danny Maye
12 Paul Milsom (9)
14 Sam Allison (10)
15 Kevin Halliday
16 Simon Charity
17 Iain Harvey (7)



Match Report
by Robin Piper

Northwood suffered their heaviest defeat since losing at Bedford in February as they were comprehensively beaten by Chippenham at a blustery Hardenhuish Park, giving the Wiltshire outfit their first win of the season.

And for the second time in five days Woods suffered defeat and finished the game with ten men, after Perry Norman received a red card for an alleged off the ball incident.

Woods were unchanged once again as they sought to bounce back following Tuesday’s defeat to Wealdstone, with Elliott Buchanan and Leon Callender taking their places on the substitutes’ bench.

Chippenham were on the offensive from the start, Woods ‘keeper Rob Bullivant dealing comfortably with an Alan Griffin header following long throw specialist Ian Herring’s delivery into the box.

The Bluebirds continued to ask all the questions, David Gilroy squandering an opportunity as he shot weakly at Bullivant when well placed.

Northwood were struggling to get any sort of foothold and looking decidedly second best to a hungry Chippenham who were looking to make amends to a low- key start to the season.

However, in a rare Northwood attack, Lee Tunnell got in behind the Chippenham rearguard but  Dean Powles was off-target with his header.

The Bluebirds continued to threaten the Woods defence which was standing up well once again, Danny Maye sending a shot from the edge of the box wide of the goal.

However, the hosts were finally rewarded for their endeavours on 19 minutes. Danny Maye was left unattended at the far post, his shot crashing in off the far post to give Chippenham a deserved lead.

Northwood continued to look lethargic. However, Peter Dean had a curling effort saved comfortably by ‘keeper Steve Perrin after a neat ball from Dean Clark.

The Bluebirds looked to extend their lead, Griffin heading comfortably into Bullivant’s arms whilst Dave Nolan was on hand to intercept Griffin’s low cross with David Gilroy and Maye waiting to apply the final touch.

But Northwood almost finished the first half on a positive note, Clark finding Tunnell in the box, his first time shot being deflected for a corner.

However, normal business was resumed early in the second half as The Bluebirds added to their lead on 49 minutes. Dave Nolan conceded a free kick on the by-line, Adam Garner hooking the ball home from Herring’s ball into the danger area.

Northwood needed a quick response and they had a penalty appeal for handball turned down before Tunnell dragged his shot across the face of the Chippenham goal.

But the contest was effectively ended as the hosts notched their third goal of the afternoon on 58 minutes, Griffin enjoying a slice of fortune as he had two bites at the cherry before shooting beyond Bullivant.

Woods immediately reshuffled the pack, James Hamsher and Leon Callender replacing Dave Nolan and Clark, Gavin Hart moving to right back while Dean moved to the right flank.

And Callender had a chance to make an immediate impact on his Northwood debut, his close range shot being blocked after Dean’s free-kick was charged down.

But it was the hosts who added to the score line, Gilroy capitalising on a mistake from Norman with an emphatic finish in the far corner.

And Northwood’s depressing afternoon got even worse after Norman received his marching orders on 72 minutes. Mark Dennison’s rash challenge sparked a mass melee and earned him a yellow card, but the referee’s assistant spotted something untoward as the players awaited the resultant free-kick and Woods were reduced to ten men.

Elliott Buchanan was introduced for Dean as Northwood sought a consolation.

Callender saw his low shot saved by Perrin whilst at the other end Bullivant pulled a fine save to deny substitute Sam Allison.

But Woods finally reduced the arrears as Tunnell scored his third goal of the season on 82 minutes, following up Callender’s shot against the post after the Woods’ debutant had taken the ball beyond Perrin.

However, Northwood’s misery continued four minutes from time as Allison made no mistake from Maye’s cross to complete the rout and leave Woods licking their wounds after a second defeat in five days.

However, Northwood have an early opportunity to make amends as they play host to Cirencester on Monday night.

PHOTO GALLERY (Click thumbnail to enlarge)



Photos: Paul Evans