Northwood 1  Bath City 1 

11th April 2007


Bill Fishenden 1
Terry Hogan 2
Ryan Tackley 3
Bradley Hewitt 4
Perry Norman 5
Wayne Carter 6
Dwane Williams 7
Danny Julienne 8
Danny Murphy 9
Peter Dean 10
Jerome Hall 11
Sean O'Keefe 14
James Shipperley 15
Karl Lewis 16
Harry Hunt 17
Joe Sparrowhawk (6) 18
British Gas Business Southern League Premier Division
Chestnut Avenue,
Kick Off
7.45 p.m.
Carter 48
Bath City
Hogg pen. 78
Bath City
Sent Off
Bath City

Bath City

1 Paul Evans
2 Sekani Simpson
3 Jim Rollo
4 Matt Coupe
5 Chris Holland
6 Adie Harris
7 Lewis Hogg
8 Scott Rogers
9 Martin Paul
10 Steve Jones
11 Mike Green
12 Dean Clarke
14 Gethin Jones
15 Matt Prosser (9)
16 Craig Davidge (11)
17 Darren Edwards (8)



Match Report
by Robin Piper

Northwood were cruelly denied a famous win over champions-elect Bath City after they conceded a 78th minute penalty in controversial circumstances.

The referee chose to ignore a debatable challenge on Wayne Carter and with the Woods’ skipper lying prostrate in the centre-circle, a frustrated Peter Dean conceded a free-kick which led to a shot rebounding off the striker’s arm and the referee pointing to the spot.

There were a number of changes from the side that won the Middlesex Cup on Monday. Ryan Tackley was available to return at left-back, whilst a fit again Bradley Hewitt returned to partner Perry Norman in central defence, Lee Holland missing out through injury. There was also a change in attack with Jerome Hall moving inside to partner Dean, Harry Hunt making way.

The signs were good for Northwood from the very start as Dwane Williams went close with a shot from 25-yards.

Bath responded to Northwood’s confident start by creating opportunities of their own, Adie Harris hooking a ball wide of the upright after Woods failed to clear their lines whilst the impressive Bill Fishenden collected a fierce drive from Martin Paul.

Northwood were the next to go close as Danny Murphy combined well with Dean before firing a shot in on the visitors’ goal which was well held by ‘keeper Paul Evans.

Woods were enjoying a good passage of play, Dean latching onto a ball over the top but hurrying his shot when well placed before Carter saw his free-kick dealt with by Evans.

However, Northwood were indebted to Fishenden as he pulled off two smart saves in stoppage time at the end of the half.  He was on hand to turn Chris Holland’s header round the post before he saved Mike Green’s shot from the edge of the box.

Woods forced a succession of corners at the start of the second period and it was from this that they opened the scoring. Tackley had already gone close but Carter made no mistake as Murphy’s deep corner found him unmarked, the Northwood stalwart unleashing an unstoppable shot through a sea of players to give the hosts a 48th minute lead.

The league leaders looked for a swift response, Green crashing a shot wide from close-range before Fishenden produced another outstanding save as he got down well to deal with Martin Paul’s long range effort.

Bath had introduced leading scorer Darren Edwards in an effort to get back into the game, whilst Matt Prosser replaced Paul in attack.

Northwood’s defence unit was once again displaying maturity beyond their years as they comfortably soaked up the pressure. But the Northwood rearguard was powerless to prevent Lewis Hogg from restoring parity from the penalty spot.

Joe Sparrowhawk was introduced for Carter for the closing minutes as Woods looked to deny a resurgent Bath, who were looking to capitalise on their good fortune by seeking out a winning goal.

However, Northwood had a chance to grab the winner as Hall created an opening for Dean, who was unable to direct his bicycle-kick towards the goal.

But the best chance of the evening fell to Bath’s Edwards in stoppage time but he was off-target with a free-header with the goal at his mercy.

And so Northwood had to settle for a point, a feeling of disappointment at only gaining a draw against the league leaders being an indication of how far this young Northwood team has progressed in recent weeks.