Sittingbourne 0  Northwood 2

20th October 2007


Mitch Swain 1
Bradley Hewitt 2
Ryan Tackley 3
Simieon Howell 4
Jazz Rose 5
Adam Theo 6
Abdulai Yoki 7
Dwane Williams 8
Jerome Hall 9
Dean Clark (Capt.) 10
Danny Hart 11
Kyle Matthews (10) 12
Lee Holland (7) 14
Jermaine Hamilton (9) 15
Adrian Abramian 16
Danny Murphy 17
FA Trophy
1st Qual. Round
Bourne Park,
Kick Off
3.00 p.m.
Rose 3, Hewitt 43
Hogg, Campbell
Sent Off


1 Jamie Riley
2 Tristan Knowles
3 Joe Dowley (Capt.)
4 Paul Ainsworth
5 James Campbell
6 Colin Richmond
7 Steve Hafner
8 Anthony Hogg
9 Bradley Spice
10 Stuart Vahid
11 Mitchell Sherwood
12 James Gregory (9)
14 Dave Norris (6)
15 Anthony Allman
16 Hicham Akhazzan (12)
17 Bradley Ashmore



Match Report
by Alan Evans

Northwood finally showed their true form to move into the next round of the FA Trophy with this solid victory at Kent side Sittingbourne. Their opponents had made an excellent start to their Ryman One South season and were lying fourth in the table while the Woods hadn’t won an away match since the end of March, a run of ten games.

Colin Payne brought in goalkeeper Mitch Swain, on loan from Wealdstone, for his debut and he will have been delighted to have kept a clean sheet but the return of central defender Bradley Hewitt from injury proved to be more significant. Jazz Rose switched to right-back in place of Terry Hogan and with Ryan Tackley a more than adequate stand-in for the injured Danny Murphy, the defence had a more solid look to it. There were more changes up front, with Adrian Abramian ruled out with injury and top scorer Elliott Buchanan unavailable so in came Jerome Hall, back from injury and playing his first game for seven weeks, with midfielder Dean Clark in a supporting role.

Northwood got off to the very best of starts and it was the defenders who played the starring role. Just into the third minute, Clark curled in a free-kick which Hewitt flicked on and Rose stole in round the back to plant the perfect header back across goalkeeper Jamie Riley and into the top corner for his first goal for the club. Just a few days earlier, the Woods had conceded an equaliser against Tilbury just seconds after scoring what should have been a stoppage-time winner and it almost happened again here, when a quick break and cross from the right found Mitch Sherwood but he skied his shot.

The Brickies then suffered a blow to their attacking options when striker Bradley Spice pulled up with a hamstring strain and was forced out of the game. The rest of the half belonged to Northwood as the home side were unable to gain any control. Danny Hart was getting involved with forays down the flank and had already had one attempt at goal before he knocked in a great cross to Abdul Yoki who saw his shot tipped over the bar by Riley. From the resulting corner, the ball was cleared out to Yoki again and his effort looked goal-bound before a good block from a defender.

After 36 minutes, Tackley chipped an accurate ball into the box and found Clark, who controlled it well before chipping a shot over the ‘keeper but also just over the crossbar. The second goal came two minutes before the break. The Woods picked up what looked a fortunate free-kick on the edge of the box after Hall had seen his run stopped by James Campbell. The resulting shot was deflected for a corner and from that, Tackley found Hewitt at the far post and the centre-half nodded the ball home for his third of the season.

Sittingbourne came out for the second-half with a change in formation and caused a few problems for the Woods defence for ten minutes or so. A ball from Tristan Knowles put Steve Hafner through, but his shot was well saved by Swain in goal. The Woods still looked a danger on the counter and the impressive Yoki again cut in from the left to shoot for goal, with Riley once more managing to get a hand up to push the ball over the bar. From the resulting corner, the ball came out to Clark in his favoured position for a strike at goal but this time he cleared the target.

On the hour, Swain had to be alert again to thwart the danger when a ball into the box almost saw Colin Richmond in on goal but the Woods ‘keeper safely pounced on the loose ball. Another Hart cross after 64 minutes was dropping for Yoki at the far post until Riley stretched to palm the ball away to safety and soon after, the home ‘keeper made another good save from a Clark free-kick. Time was running out for Sittingbourne and they seemed to run out of ideas in the closing stages.

Jermaine Hamilton replaced the tiring Hall and Kyle Matthews came on for Clark in the final minutes, and the Woods continued to move the ball around with ease, while never really threatening to increase their lead. In the end, it was an excellent result for Northwood who are gradually looking more like a team destined for the top half of the table. The only minus point from the game was the yellow card for defender Adam Theo, his fifth of the season, which will mean the only ever-present in the Woods side will miss the next round of the Trophy in two weeks time.

PHOTO GALLERY (Click thumbnail to enlarge)


Woods put pressure on the Sittingbourne goal

Photos: James Brown