Senior teams sponsors

Stadium sponsors

Byrne Stand sponsors

Youth section sponsors

Woking Res. 3  Northwood Res. 1

Saturday 12th February 2011

Northwood Res.

Kingfield Stadium, Woking
Ben Dowsett
Kick Off
Reece Fallon
3.00 p.m.
James Lindsay
Jordan Gutteridge
Dominic Franklin
Timi Salako
Jack Hutchinson
Williamson 35
Murray Williamson
Johanan Adjei-Dankins
Matt Andrews
Lucas Williams
Dujon Desagurante (9)
Youcef Ouyahia

Woods took a very young side to Woking for the third round of the league cup. The ground is very intimidating and the set-up first rate which you would expect from an ex-Conference side. The game began with the opposition underestimating the young Woods, and they found themselves on the back foot. The visitors were passing and moving with great purpose and things were on the up. Woking began to panic and used two of their subs after 30 minutes. Woods had some great opportunities to open the scoring but lacked some composure in front of goal.

With the Northwood back four looking strong, they continued to dominate, and Murray Williamson and Jack Hutchinson were pulling the strings. Except for the set-piece problems from free-kicks, Woods were on the up. It was no surprise when after a good move and charged down shots Murray Williamson put the Woods in front after 35 minutes, smashing the ball high into the net. Woods were then placed under the cosh and skipper James Lindsay led from the front, but the whole side was working very hard indeed.

Half-time came with the Woods leading 1-0, but Woking opened the second period very strongly, and Ben Dowsett was called upon to make a couple of saves, which he dealt with well, but Woods were now being restricted to breakaways. Still chances were coming thick and fast at both ends, and when following a good move involving Lucas Williams and Matt Andrews, the latter had the chance to ease the pressure but the Woking goalie coped well but a bit more power would have helped. Woking were resorting to the long ball, and from one of these Dominic Franklin conceded a corner. For the first time Woods did not pick everyone up and the Woking centre-half headed in unchallenged: there was a bit of a dispute due to Ben Dowsett being fouled but the ref allowed the goal to stand.

The Woods were still battling but showing signs of tiredness, and ten minutes from the end a sloppy header out of defence fell to a Woking midfielder, who gave them the lead. Woods dug deep and were unlucky not to equalize from Timi Salako after a good move from midfield. However, with a couple of minutes to go a big punt downfield by Woking drew Dowsett off his line, and despite  a valiant effort from Lindsay and Fallon the ball went in to wrap up the game for the home side.

The very old management team had a feeling in the stomach which was unusual for them they were gutted for the team, because they way they battled and played, they deserved more than they got. A very good performance from the youngsters and experienced players alike, which could give them a lift for the rest of the season.