Senior teams sponsors

Stadium sponsors

Youth section sponsors

MARLOW FC   Saturday 21st March 2015   NORTHWOOD FC

Evo-Stik League Southern Division One Central

  Marlow 0  Northwood 2  

I Ehui 17, 92

Team line-up  

  Team line-up
1 Oneal Garnes     1 Berkley Laurencin
2 Nathan Bovell     2 James Burgess
3 Chris Ovenden     3 Andy Lomas
4 Michael Alexis     4 Mark Burgess ©
5 Alex Salmon     5 Steve Brown
6 Dan Hicks ©     6 Perry Dicker
7 Devontae Romeo     7 Joakim Ehui
8 Jahson Downes     8 Jordan Lawal
9 Lee Barney     9 Ismael Ehui
10 Jordace Holder-Spooner     10 Michael Murray (86m)
11 Lewis Gabbidon     11 Nana Asamoah (75m)
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Sam Rarity     12 Dave Lawrence (86m)
14 Samuel Bangura     14 Rob Hastings (75m)
15 Jamal Branker     15 Omar Vassell
16 Romone Rose     16 -
17 Simon Grant     17 -
      Referee: Mark Mellor; Assistants: Alex Rayment & Bob Trinder      
  REPORT by Alan Evans    PHOTOS by James Brown  




A goal in each half from new top scorer Ismael Ehui earned the Woods only their second “double” of the season at the expense of mid-table Marlow. Mark Burgess made just one change to the side that had been held to a goalless draw by Uxbridge a week earlier with youngster Perry Dicker replacing Dave Lawrence in the centre of midfield, but a switch to three at the back was more significant on the day.

It had been a while since the Woods deployed wing-backs and when the very first minute saw the tricky Lee Barney work enough space for a shot on goal that lacked power, there may have been alarm bells ringing. But in fact, Northwood dominated the early stages with some excellent approach play and additional attacking prowess than in recent weeks.

Andy Lomas was enjoying new found freedom to get forward more and Ismael Ehui led the line strongly but still without threatening an effort on goal until they were gifted a chance on 17 minutes. It came from defender Dan Hicks, who misdirected a back-pass and allowed Ismael Ehui a run on goal. The Woods forward took the ball past goalkeeper Oneal Garnes and angled a shot into the empty net.

Two minutes later, Murray sent an inviting ball across the six-yard box but somehow three Northwood players failed to get the required touch as it flashed wide of the far post. Marlow rallied and began to look for an equaliser with Barney’s good run being followed by a shot that flew well wide. On 27 minutes Devontae Romeo’s attacking run saw him create a few problems and he set up Barney for another shot which, despite taking a deflection, was still gathered comfortably by goalkeeper Berkley Laurencin.

It was just a minute later that the Blues should have been level as an error from James Burgess allowed the ball to be played to Jordace Holder-Spooner in plenty of space but he crashed his shot well wide of the post. Marlow continued to shade the closing stages and Laurencin had to be alert again to save a snapshot from Jahson Downes after Barney had been tackled in the box.

The first bad tackle of the day saw Michael Alexis pick up a yellow card for a foul on Dicker, and the half finished with a long-range strike from Lewis Gabbidon which Laurencin watched carefully as it flew only just over the bar.
Just a minute after the restart Lomas threaded a good ball through for Nana Asamoah who sped into the box but then placed his shot wide of the far post with just Garnes to beat. At the other end a rare mistake by Laurencin as he attempted to clear saw the industrious Barney cut the ball back into the danger-zone but it was safely cleared.

After 52 minutes Hicks almost made amends for his first half error with a powerful header from a corner but Laurencin pushed the ball over the bar to keep the Woods in front and from there the Northwood defence grew stronger.

Marlow made a series of substitutions in an effort to break down the Woods’ stubborn resistance but without any positive effect though a good piece of skill from substitute Romone Rose on 87 minutes did produce a low shot at goal with Laurencin again showing a safe pair of hands.

Time was running out for the home side when substitute Dave Lawrence made a run into the box and was bundled over by the challenge of miscreant Hicks, with a penalty being the result. Number one choice from twelve yards, Murray was off the field by this time so Ismael Ehui was given the responsibility of the spot-kick and he made no mistake with his second of the game and his thirteenth goal of the season.

Unbeaten in their last three matches, the Woods now face a couple of very tough games against play-off hopefuls. Next Saturday they entertain third-placed Bedworth United and the following Easter Saturday they face the long trip to Rugby Town who sit in fifth position. They will be looking to complete further “doubles” against both.