Senior teams sponsors

Stadium sponsors

Youth section sponsors

NORTHWOOD FC   Saturday 21st February 2015   LEIGHTON TOWN FC

Evo-Stik League Southern Division One Central

  Northwood 0  Leighton Town 4


Seanla 28, 83,
Lester 36, Draycott 65

Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Berkley Laurencin     1 Zaki Oualah
2 Omar Vassell     2 Michael Lyon
3 Andy Lomas     3 Remy Forrester
4 Mark Burgess     4 Rob Goodman
5 David Longe-King     5 Alvin Rajaram
6 Perry Dicker     6 Tyrone Taylor
7 Joakim Ehui (57m)     7 Ash Farmer
8 James Burgess (46m)     8 Aaron Morgan (65m)
9 Niko Muir     9 Christian Lester (70m)
10 Michael Murray     10 Claude Seanla
11 Nana Asamoah (65m)     11 Phil Draycott
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Jordan Lawal (46m)     12 Steve Flux
14 Rob Hastings (57m)     14 Gary Ridgway
15 Dave Lawrence     15 Billy Lobjoit (65m)
16 Ismael Ehui (65m)     16 Danny Watson (70m)
17 Alex Nolan     17 Dan Green
      Referee: James Vallance; Assistants: James Wassell & Luke Peacock      
  REPORT by Alan Evans     PHOTOS by James Brown  

Lowly Leighton Town were able to ease their fears of being dragged down into the relegation zone with a comprehensive victory against a Northwood side who never got out of second gear at any stage of the match. The Woods had centre-half pairing Steve Brown and Nick Turner both missing, so manager Mark Burgess restored himself to the starting line-up to play alongside David Longe-King, a youngster signed on dual-registration from St. Albans City to make his debut.

Leighton started with top scorer Danny Watson on the bench after only arriving just before kick-off but it made little difference as the visitors started well enough, though without threatening the Northwood goal in the early stages. In fact, it was after 20 minutes that Claude Seanla recorded the first shot of the game with an effort that was touched on by Alvin Rajaram but went wide of the far post. Two minutes later Berkley Laurencin was brought into action for the first time as he saved comfortably from a Phil Draycott effort and then Christian Lester got to a far post cross but steered his header wide of the post.

It was after 26 minutes that Northwood finally managed an effort on goal themselves with Michael Murray hitting a powerful strike across the face of goal but wide of the far post and just two minutes later they were behind as Lester knocked in a cross and Seanla managed to beat Laurencin to the ball to head Leighton in front. There was a brief response from the home side as Niko Muir worked the ball across the area and then Murray played in Nana Asamoah but he poked his shot wide of the near post.

And on 36 minutes the visitors grabbed a second goal. A cross was half headed away by Perry Dicker but it dropped nicely for Lester who then volleyed the ball back across the face of goal and into the top corner for a cracking finish. There was almost a third before the break too as Lester nodded down a cross and Seanla’s stabbed shot drifted only just wide of the post.

Jordan Lawal replaced James Burgess at the break in an effort to produce some sort of swift second-half response but after 51 minutes a quick break gave Lester a chance on goal until his shot was blocked by Mark Burgess.

Laurencin saved well from an Aaron Morgan shot on the turn and then there was a brief respite as Murray had an effort deflected wide after a run from Asamoah while Joakim Ehui fired wide from the resulting corner. But it wasn’t to last, and another break saw the Woods defence stretched and Lester’s ball across goal allowed Draycott a simple tap-in on 65 minutes.

A free-kick was headed on by Dicker and Burgess headed over but there was no real sign of any miracle comeback for Northwood and Leighton continued to press with Lester’s last action of the match being a stabbed shot wide of a big target after being picked out by Seanla.

On 74 minute, Muir finally worked some space for a shot which clipped the outside of the post but the visitors sealed the victory soon after. Draycott had an effort saved at the near post by Laurencin but the Woods keeper could do nothing to stop Seanla notching his second as he swept in a cross from substitute Billy Lobjoit.

It was a game to forget for the Woods, while Leighton climbed a further three points ahead of the bottom two.