Senior teams sponsors

Stadium sponsors

Youth section sponsors

BEDWORTH UNITED   Saturday 4th October 2014   NORTHWOOD FC

Southern League Division One Central

  Bedworth United 1  Northwood 2  

Mewies 19

I Ehui 56, Asamoah 70

Team line-up  

  Team line-up
1 Denham Hinds     1 Berkley Laurencin
2 Ben Steane     2 Omar Vassell
3 Chris Tullin     3 Andy Lomas
4 Kurtis Mewies     4 Nick Turner
5 Mitchell Thomas     5 Perry Dicker
6 Mark Albrighton     6 Jordan Lawal
7 Luke Rowe     7 Joakim Ehui
8 Dexter Ravenhill     8 Nana Asamoah (86m)
9 Daniel Creaney     9 Michael Murray
10 Daniel Dubidat     10 Ismael Ehui (81m)
11 Keenan Meakin-Richards     11 Sam Byfield (90m)
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Luke Connolly (72m)     12 Mason Yorke (90m)
14 Alex Naughton (72m)     14 Alex Nolan
15 Anthony Bevas     15 Tommy Walsh (86m)
16 David Blenkinsopp     16 James Duncan
17 Chad Degville-Cross (66m)     17 Rob Hastings (81m)

Referee: Abbas Khan Assistants: Shaun Willoughby & Andrew Parker

  REPORT & PHOTOS by Alan Evans  




Northwood bounced back from last Saturday’s miserable defeat against Hanwell Town with a spirited comeback display and three points from their first-ever competitive game on an artificial surface. Bedworth United opened their new facility around five weeks ago and are one of a handful of clubs who have switched to a 3G pitch with more to follow in the years to come for those with money to spend.

Manager Mark Burgess made a few changes to the side. Suspended for the game himself, Nick Turner returned from injury to take his place at the back while Nana Asamoah dropped into midfield to cover the injury to George Nicholas. So, there was a new pairing as Michael Murray came in alongside a starting debut for Ismael Ehui, while Rob Hastings was rested to the bench.

The home side started best with a near-post corner being flicked onto the post by their new signing Dexter Ravenhill and then Daniel Creaney’s cushioned header gave top scorer Daniel Dubidat a sight of goal but Andy Lomas got across with a vital blocked tackle.

The Woods’ best chance of the first-half came after 10 minutes when Asamoah knocked a good ball down the left for Sam Byfield to burst clear and he had two options for his cross. Murray was lurking at the far post but he chose to cut it back for Ismael Ehui on the edge of the box, and he lifted his shot too high.

But it was Bedworth who got their noses in front with a soft goal on 19 minutes. A corner was delivered from the left by Luke Rowe, Creaney flicked it on and a slight deflection from Kurtis Mewies saw the ball creep in at the far post. The Greenbacks had a chance to double their lead just three minutes later when Dubidat put Creaney through on goal but Berkley Laurencin denied the striker with a fine save to keep the Woods in touching distance.

Northwood regrouped and Asamoah had a couple of half-chances, one shot blocked and a free-kick that sailed well over the top but they still had plenty of defending to do before half-time.

A good run down the left from Ravenhill saw him leave Omar Vassell and Turner trailing but when his centre flashed across the face of goal, Laurencin was down to cut it out. On 42 minutes, a long ball was flicked on by Creaney and this put Dubidat in on goal but this time it was Vassell who was quick to read the situation and blocked his effort superbly. Just before the break, the lively Dubidat helped a ball on to Creaney but he failed to hit the target.

Northwood looked more positive from the start of the second half and seemed to be settling on the new surface. Just five minutes in a Murray flick-on put Asamoah through on goal but he slipped before getting a shot on goal. Then, after 55 minutes, Ismael Ehui blocked a goalkeeper clearance and the ball looped up and goalwards only to bounce inches wide of the post. Spirits had clearly been raised and a minute later, Asamoah combined with Murray but his strike lacked the power to beat Denham Hinds in goal and he saved comfortably low down.

The pressure paid off on 56 minutes when Byfield did well down the left and his accurate cross was met by a thumping close-range volley by Ismael Ehui; the striker getting his first Northwood goal. Ben Steane fired over for the home side after getting on the end of a free-kick two minutes later but the Woods could have been in front on the hour when Byfield again got the better of Mitchell Thompson and found Ehui. The striker turned well and had a clear sight of goal but then smashed his shot well over.

Creaney tried his luck from distance having spotted Laurencin off his line when latching onto a loose ball but it went wide and a free-kick from a dangerous position saw Dubidat hit a poor shot into the defensive wall.
On 70 minutes, the Woods took the lead and the supply came from a familiar place as Byfield raced past Thompson and knocked in a dangerous cross. This time it was blocked by a defender but the ball went straight to Asamoah whose instinctive first-time volley flew into the net and Northwood were ahead.

Bedworth made their substitutions but the home side were not getting much joy from a determined Woods back-line. After 78 minutes, Dubidat got up high to a corner but steered his header over and wide of the target while Byfield went close to a goal himself as he danced in from the left but his shot only found the side-netting.

The inevitable added time produced a few nervous moments of course. Alex Naughton flicked a header wide after a good cross from Chad Degville-Cross while Dubidat appeared to have a great chance after a ball over the top but he was crowded out and Degville-Cross shot wide. Finally, a 95th minute corner to the far post was met by former Doncaster and Stevenage defender Mark Albrighton but he could only direct his header wide and the three points were coming back to Northwood.