Senior teams sponsors

Stadium sponsors

Youth section sponsors

AYLESBURY FC   Tuesday 28th October 2014   NORTHWOOD FC

Evo-Stik League Southern Division One Central

  Aylesbury 3  Northwood 1  

Goss 56, 58, 90

Turner 82

Team line-up  

  Team line-up
1 James Weatherill     1 Berkley Laurencin
2 Jeanmal Prosper     2 James Duncan (61m)
3 Connor Baker     3 Andy Lomas
4 Ben Bateman     4 Nick Turner
5 Kyle Anthony     5 Mark Burgess
6 Ben Stevens     6 Perry Dicker (65m)
7 Gareth Price (69m)     7 Omar Vassell
8 Bradley Wadkins     8 Nana Asamoah (61m)
9 Brian Haule (63m)     9 Michael Murray
10 Sony French (69m)     10 Jordan Lawal
11 Aston Goss     11 Sam Byfield
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Sean Sonner (63m)     12 Tommy Walsh
14 Lynton Goss (69m)     14 Will Hudson (65m)
15 Ryan O’Toole (69m)     15 Alex Nolan (61m)
16 Danny Murphy     16 Mason Yorke
17 Jamie Rudd     17 Ismael Ehui (61m)
      Referee: Dave Avent; Assistants: Karl Tribe & Sam Harris      
  REPORT by Alan Evans  




Aston Goss was the hat-trick hero for the home side as a depleted Northwood side again struggled to find their best form on their travels in midweek. With the Ehui brothers both declared as unavailable, Mark Burgess’ attacking options were hit further by Dave Lawrence suffering from concussion and Rob Hastings picking up an illness. On the positive side, Sam Byfield was back from injury, Jordan Lawal was available again plus new recruit Will Hudson was added to the squad after joining from Chesham United. Will had played for the Woods back in 2009/10 and picked up the “Most Promising Player” before spending four years in the USA playing for Canisius College and FC Buffalo.

It was perhaps no surprise that it was the home side that started strongly, forcing a series of corners before Sonny French had an effort that crashed back off the post with the same player putting the rebound over the bar. Michael Murray was gallantly trying to operate as a sole frontman but chances were few and far between, though one long-range effort wasn’t far wide. Nana Asamoah was getting some rewards from his support role, probing with forward runs but without threatening the goal.

After 22 minutes, French was unlucky again when a shot smashed against the crossbar but the Woods rallied again with Asamoah setting up Byfield for a strike that was only just wide. Berkley Laurencin was looking in fine form as he dealt comfortably with two shots in quick succession, the latter from a long-range effort from Goss that was pushed wide.

Omar Vassell had been pushed into a wide role for the game and was getting more of the ball. When he was put through on goal by Burgess he should have hit the target but chipped just over the bar.  But it was after 39 minutes that Northwood had a great chance to grab an unlikely lead when Byfield raced onto a bouncing ball and chipped the on-coming James Weatherill. The ball cleared the ‘keeper but bounced high and climbed just over the bar as well.

The Moles hit back, with Brian Haule diving to head a Goss cross but missing the target and at half-time there was still plenty to play for.  An early Murray free-kick was flighted superbly across the six-yard box but none of Perry Dicker, Vassell or Byfield could get the required touch and after Goss went close with a long-range strike and a far-post header, the same player fired Aylesbury in front on 56 minutes after the Woods defence failed to clear.

Just two minutes, that setback was doubled as an unmarked Goss powered home a good strike to make it 2-0, leaving the Woods with a mountain to climb. A double-substitution followed with Alex Nolan replacing a tiring James Duncan, and Ismael Ehui – freshly arrived direct from work – coming on for Asamoah to give the Woods a more attacking dimension. Hudson was also introduced for Dicker, while Aylesbury also made all three substitutions in quick succession.

Suddenly the Woods were pushing forward and when Hudson found Vassell out wide, his cross was met by a firm header from Ehui but it was at the ‘keeper who saved well. After 75 minutes, Kyle Anthony got a little lucky when bringing down Ehui right on the edge of the box but escaping a red card. Murray curled the free-kick over the top but Northwood continued to press and they pulled a goal back after 82 minutes when Nick Turner headed Murray’s corner goalwards and Weatherill was unable to keep it out.

The Woods took risks to try to find a late equaliser and Laurencin had to save well when Bradley Wadkins broke through but there was only one real chance for the visitors to score. It was another Murray free-kick that was helped on by Byfield but the loose ball bounced kindly for Weatherill and he smothered it gratefully.

Then, in the final minute, Laurencin appeared to have done well to beat former Woods striker Sean Sonner to a through-ball and push it away but the Referee surprised most in the ground by awarding a penalty which Goss gratefully converted to complete his hat-trick.