Senior teams sponsors

Stadium sponsors

Youth section sponsors

AFC Totton 4  Northwood 1

Saturday 7th August 2010


Mitch Swain
Scott Raper
Danny Power
Mark Burgess
Jamie Lindsay
John Christian
Kyle Matthews
Dean Wallace
Scott Orphanou
Leon Osei
Rodney Hicks
Sam Sharples
Gary Edwards
John Sonuga
Dave Hewinson
Andrew Triallist

AFC Totton missed out on promotion to the Southern Premier last season by the narrowest of margins and then blew it in the play-offs for the second time in succession, so they were always going to be a tough test for the Woods side that travelled down to Southampton on Saturday.

A few players were back from their travels, but Ryan Tackley and Anthony Page were unavailable and the home side were in front within ten minutes. There was a hint of a foul on Mitch Swain as he came to clear a cross but there was nothing given and the ball ran kindly to a lurking Totton player who slotted home.

Northwood played some good football as they looked to get themselves back into the game, but they were given a lifeline when John Christian fired in from distance with a shot which crept in under the diving 'keeper's body and tucked inside the post.

The Stags almost regained the lead immediately when Swain made a fine save to deny Mike Spinney and then Danny Power cleared another effort off the line, but it was end to end stuff at this stage, with Scott Orphanou's effort pushed wide by the home 'keeper. From the resulting corner, Rodney Hicks saw his shot blocked and then Scott Raper fired just over from the rebound.

Swain saved again from Spinney soon after, but the defensive gates opened up again just before the break as the game swung the way of Totton. The Woods 'keeper had to block up to three shots in quick succession but his defence was unable to clear and Spinney eventually converted after 42 minutes.
Leon Osei, who was never really firing throughout, then had two efforts on goal blocked but Totton went further ahead just before half-time through Carl Pettefer.

Northwood rallied again in the second-half and almost pulled one back after 52 minutes when Osei broke quickly down the left and centred, but though Orphanou met it well enough, his shot was blocked by the 'keeper.

Swain made another excellent save a few minutes later, but then got in a complete mix-up with Power when attempting to clear a cross which allowed crowd favourite Mike Gosney to roll in the fourth killer goal.

The game got a little messy towards the end as petulance from both sides caused problems for the Referee, who has been trying not to cause either team any disciplinary problems, but he managed to keep things sensible through to the final whistle.

Our thanks to our hosts at Totton who helped to make it a good day out for the Woods, despite the result.