Senior teams sponsors

Youth section sponsors

Youth Reports 2016-17

8 January 2017

Northwood Reds Reds Under 13s 5  Borehamwood 2000 1

The boys were back in action after the Christmas break with what in my opinion was one of their best performances of the season so far, coming out comfortable winners against a very big physical Borehamwood side, a win that puts them into the quarter finals of the Challenge Cup. The match did start evenly though Northwood were playing some really good passing football and were making most of the early chances which the Borehamwood defence & goalkeeper were dealing with but were under a lot of pressure.

It was from one of these periods of pressure that Northwood got another corner which was only half cleared to Felipe, who struck the ball well to score his first goal for the team: 1-0. This really lifted the team and they did seem to go up another gear putting more pressure on Borehamwood but were also doing really well defending any attacks that Borehamwood did get. It was not long until a pin point pass to Ashley found him through on goal and after his first effort was saved he well he put the rebound away to make it 2-0. Then barely 4 minutes later Oliver scored the team's 3rd and the game was now looking quite comfortable as the boys came in for half time. It was very much a case of telling the boys to carry on what they were doing but not to think that the game was already won and to keep the high levels of performance & concentration all the way through the second half.

The second half started and as we suspected, Borehamwood started very quickly and were putting the boys under some pressure but our player of the match Arun and the rest of the team were defending well. The boys were finding it a bit more difficult in the second half but form one of our attacks that ended up with us getting a corner. Ashley stepped up to take the corner which both John and I questioned why he was taking it but, he swung in a great cross that found Arun who scored his first Northwood goal which was even more special as it was a header, of which we don’t seem to score many!

The boys then had what I can only call a mad 10 minutes when they seemed to lose concentration and shape and let Borehamwood back into the game. It was from a Borehamwood corner that the boys did not defend or mark players particularly well saw Borehamwood score their own header to make it 4-1. Borehamwood were now playing with a lot more confidence and were putting us under pressure and again from a corner the same player header just over the bar. After a couple of more changes to the team the boys did seem to get their shape and concentration back and stared again to play some good passing football again. Then with no more than 10 minutes to go a move down the left that culminated with a good low cross from Lewis Ryan ended in an own goal though, deflecting off a Borehamwood defender though we did have Ashley, Dan Terry and Dec waiting to pounce if it had gone in off him. The game was now pretty much over with the boys finishing well in control, I would also like to say that I though our ref had a very good game as well as it was his first at this age group and he controlled the game well.

Line-up: Rayyan, Ale, Arun, Lewis Ryan, George, Felipe, Daniel Terry, Ben, Oliver Lewis Reid Ashley, Dec, Zaki. Player of the match Arun. Well done to all the boys!

Dave Blincko