STADIUM SPONSORS
HOME SHIRTS & CLUBHOUSE SPONSORS
AWAY SHIRTS SPONSORS
WEBSITE SPONSORS
PREMIUM CLUB SPONSORS

Youth Reports 2015-16

13 March 2016

Northwood Reds U12s 1  Omonia Youth Gold 4

Northwood lost to top of the table Omonia in what was a tough, physical game for the boys. Omonia, it seemed, had only come to try and bully a win, and with what I can only call an unacceptable display of ill-discipline with no idea of what respect or fair play at this level of football is. I do question what the coaches and parents do to instil these values into these boys.

The game did start with both teams playing some good football and they cancelled each other out, but any decision given against Omonia was questioned every time by the Omonia players, so we knew what we were to expect. The first half was very evenly contested with both sides going close and I felt that the boys coped really well against the top of the league side. Shortly before half-time Omonia got a free kick which they put high and long from out on the left into the Northwood penalty area, and after the ball coming off a Northwood player it fell to a grateful Omonia player who finished well and we found ourselves 0-1 down just on the break.

The second half started in the worst possible way when Omonia countered and went 2-0 up within the second minute of the period. This did seem to push the boys into action and they played some good stuff, but the more physical Omonia side were stopping the boys playing their natural passing game.  After what seemed to me was a standard free-kick to Omonia from a strong tackle, the Omonia player who felt he had been caught unfairly got up and punched one of the Northwood players. The referee asked for both players to be subbed, which was done, only for Omonia to re-introduce their player three minutes later. Again I question why the Omonia coaches felt that this was necessary as we understood that the players had to stay off the pitch for the rest of the game.

Despite all the physical and verbal stuff that was coming from Omonia, our boys again were getting back into the game but then were caught by a Omonia counter and even though the defence did their best to get back Omonia went 3-0 up with 10 minutes to go.

The Woods boys picked themselves up, and after a good move down the right Saihaan was through on goal when he was taken down by the Omonia player who had previously been asked to leave the field for punching. The referee had lost his patience with him by now and booked him. Saihaan took the penalty well: 1-3. The boys did not give up and came very close to get it back to 3-2 but it was not to be. The last play of the game saw Omonia get an undeserved fourth, following which the game come to an end.

The overall performance showed good spirit and the boys can learn from coming against more physical sides. Well done to all the boys!

Line up: Rayyan, George, Daniel, Lewis Ryan, Lewis Reid, Frankie, Ashley, Ben Freeth, Joshua, Saihaan, Callum, Ben Bambrough, Declan. Player of the match Ben Freeth.

Dave Blincko

MENU