Senior teams sponsors

Stadium sponsors

Youth section sponsors



Saturday 11th December 1971


Although Barnes found the net three times, they had to thank a generous Northwood defence who lost interest in an unbalanced and one-sided Middlesex League match on Saturday for their reward. Without a league win this season, Barnes were no match for fast-moving Northwood. The Woods’ front three had a field day.

Paddy Coburn got them off the mark when he broke through. His first shot was blocked but he hammered home the rebound. This was after 15 minutes, and ten minutes later Ian Harvey finished off a neat move when he rounded the keeper and pushed the ball into an empty net.

When Paddy Coburn hammered in number three the game died. It was nearly all Northwood as they attacked non-stop, and even when the home side broke to make it 3-1, it made little difference. An own goal just before the break made it 4-1, and the second half a formality.

Barry Wanless, the Woods’ leading scorer, got back to form in the second half, but the team were unable to muster enough enthusiasm to hammer home their superiority.
Steve Senior, who is suffering from a mystery knee complaint, lacked his usual sharpness but was still good enough to constantly worry the home side, and Steve Pearce was willing to run all day.

At the back John Myers and Barry Gould let little go, but towards the end boredom let a little slackness into their game.

Wanless scored number five midway through the second half, and he netted the second and the team’s sixth with a tremendous 20-yard shot soon after this. At 6-1 it looked as though Woods might make double figures for the second time this season, but they lacked the killer instinct this time.

In the final five minutes Barnes scored twice to boost their morale, but they were not in the same class as the rampaging Northwood outfit.

Northwood:, R. Byrne, G. Harding, J. Myers, B. Gould, B. Taylor, W. Burt, I. Harvey, S. Pearce, P. Coburn, B. Wanless, S. Senior.