Senior teams sponsors

Stadium sponsors

Youth section sponsors



Saturday 27th November 1971


After the miserable cup performance of the previous week, and now the absence of goal ace Barry Warless, Northwood could have been accused of a rather subdued display at Uxbridge on Saturday.

Although they dropped a valuable Middlesex League point there were signs that the team was not deeply upset by the previous week’s shock cup defeat at home to Acton British Legion. They had to reshuffle to cover for the missing Wanless and his replacement John Myers, both down with flu, and they did well in the circumstances.

The game started at a furious pace with the 'Woods doing all the attacking. Paddy Coburn and Steve Senior looked in fine form and their combination had the home defence at full stretch.

As happens when one team attacks non-stop, they tended to leave gaps at the back, and the Woods’ defence, which has struggled recently, let them down again.
A corner was swung over, and as six defenders watched, Victoria's lone attacker headed home.

Willie Burt for Northwood worked hard in midfield, while Barry Gould played above his recent form. Ian Harvey,  strangely subdued, could not settle on the small pitch, but Steve Pearce, a player not given enough recognition for his unselfish work, had another good game.

Pearce set up the equaliser when he beat two players to give Steve Senior his goal.
Although well in control, Woods’ defence often looked likely to submit to the quick break, and when a long clearance was played downfield, two Woods defenders completely missed the ball, and the home side's inside-forward had a simple task to score.

Paddy Coburn almost snatched the equaliser on two occasions and Barry Gould soared to head a great effort just over. When a defender tried to induce Gould to give away a throw-in near the home side’s corner flag he simply slipped the ball through his legs to Pearce. He in turn crossed to Senior, who continued his goal-scoring form with a line volley.

Northwood should have had a winner in the last few minutes as they attacked furiously. Coburn had an effort blocked and Ian Harvey instantly killed the rebound, dummied the 'keeper, and rolled the ball goalward. But somehow a defender appeared from nowhere and cleared a certain goal.

This was a far cry from the 'Woods of three weeks ago, but the signs are there that the form is coming back.

Northwood: R. Byrne, G. Harding, P. Madigan, D. Dibbens, B. Taylor, W. Burt, I. Harvey, B. Gould, S. Pearce, P. Coburn, S. Senior.